October 11th, 2023
Newsletter by Sunney Gao and Sidney Singer

Campus reacts to violence in Israel and Palestine

School for Public and International Affairs (SPIA) at night.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Princeton University's response to the most recent flare-up of violence in Israel and Palestine has been in the spotlight as the conflict dominated national headlines in recent days. President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 released a statement yesterday, writing, “The nightmare underway in Israel and in the Palestinian territories is being deeply felt on this campus. That pain will inevitably continue in the months ahead. My heart goes out to everyone personally affected.”

The University community, which has substantial contingents from around the world, has been shaken by a variety of geopolitical conflicts in recent weeks.  The Princeton Armenian Students Society has been advocating for Armenian students in the wake of mass expulsions of Armenians from the contested territory of Nagorno-Karabakh. Eisgruber has not made a statement on the situation in Armenia.

READ THE STORY
Analysis by Daily Princetonian Staff

Today's Briefing 

Whether you graduate college has increasing impact on mortality, new paper says: Professors Angus Deaton and Anne Case from the Princeton Economics Department recently drafted a paper concerning the mortality gap between Americas with and without Bachelor’s degrees. The study found that Americans with a Bachelor of Arts degree lived on average 8.5 years longer than those who do not have a Bachelor’s degree. 
READ THE STORY →

Princeton sues two recent graduates for failure to repay loans: Princeton University has launched two separate lawsuits in New York against recent graduates over defaulted loans. Both lawsuits began in spring of 2023 and are ongoing.
READ THE STORY
SPONSORED:

OPINION | From a class council campaign manager, here's the key to a successful campaign

Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Guest Contributor Nile White comments on the Class of 2027 class council elections through the view of a student who helped run the campaign of Muhamary Kiherille ’27, describing how “lack of perfection allowed us to truly connect with the voters.” He went on to detail the strategies employed to help Kiherille win, and what he believe “ultimately propelled [the] campaign to success” — the ultimate divide between upper and lower campus, which Kiherille vowed to address. “Especially at Princeton, you must show voters that you are one of them. That was what we did. And it worked.”

READ THE COLUMN →

More from Opinion:

SPORTS | Women’s soccer set for a title push after defeating Yale 3–1

Women’s soccer celebrates a crucial conference win against rival Yale.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonWSoc/X.
The Princeton Women’s soccer team defeated the Yale Bulldogs 3-1 on Friday night. This game carried heavy emotional significance for the Tigers after their loss to Yale 1-0 last year. Moreover, the win over Yale helped solidify the Tigers’ positioning in the conference as the Tigers chase an Ivy League title, with only four Ivy League games remaining in the season. The Tigers are 3-1 in the Ivy League, second only to Brown.

READ THE STORY →

THE PROSPECT | Ask the Sexpert

The Design Team / The Daily Princetonian

Can depression and other mental health challenges affect sex drive and emotional availability? In this month’s column, The Sexpert breaks down the science behind depression, antidepressants, and why that has anything to do with sexual and emotional dysfunction in a relationship. If you’re having trouble dealing with these obstacles, you can always schedule a Wellness Chat with a Peer Health Adviser to navigate options.

READ THE STORY →

More from The Prospect:

FEATURES | A pioneering figure with a marred legacy: Syngman Rhee at Princeton

“Syngman Rhee and the Constitution of the Republic of Korea” by 인포앤뉴스 / CC SA 4.0

Princeton is famously the alma mater of former U.S. presidents James Madison and Woodrow Wilson. Less well-known, however, is Syngman Rhee, a Princeton Ph.D. graduate who went on to become the first president of South Korea in 1948. The Daily Princetonian tracks the influence of Syngman Rhee on campus, in Korea, and around the world.

READ THE STORY →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: In a longform episode, Daybreak looks at times when media attention focuses on specific classes or programs at Princeton.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PROSPECT: The 'Prince' tried matcha from 5 places in Princeton, so you don’t have to.
  • CARTOON: Check out the newest cartoon "Dogs Day" by Senior Cartoonist Paige Min.
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA