Tuesday, September 26, 2023
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu and Brianna Suliguin

Meet the Class of 2027

Noreen Hosny / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

The 2027 Frosh Survey is finally here. The Daily Princetonian’s Data team asked incoming first-year students a plethora of questions about everything from cheating on academic assignments to substance use to their opinions on U.S. Senator Ted Cruz ’92 (R-TX). Over 800 students responded to this year’s survey, with notable findings including that over 60 percent of the Class of 2027 intends to join an eating club — a greater percentage than that reported on any previous Frosh Survey. Moreover, one in four first-year students identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community. Click here to read more and view all the data in full detail.

The Frosh Survey was the brainchild of the Data section back in 2020 for the class of 2024. The survey was conceived of as an ambitious effort to compile information regarding the incoming undergraduate class in the form of visually appealing graphs and interactive charts. The questions asked touch upon student demographics, academics, lifestyle choices, views on hot-button issues, and more. In 2020 and 2021, the Frosh Surveys for the Classes of 2024 and 2025, respectively, also asked various questions related to the then-ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. 

Although the University collects basic data related to student demographic and academic information, it began to withhold information concerning admissions statistics — including acceptance rates and average standardized test scores — in 2021. According to the University, the reasoning behind this policy change was to avoid “[discouraging] some prospective students from applying.” Overall, the annual Frosh Survey strives to distill the diverse essence of the first-year class in a transparent, visual medium accessible to all.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE →

Today’s Briefing 

Sparks fly between two scooters, cause fire in Whitman basement: Recently, two fires were reported on University grounds or in close proximity to campus. One occurred at Wawa after a pizza oven caught fire; the other was ignited in Whitman’s Baker Hall after a scooter's wheel would not stop spinning, resulting in the loss of the scooter’s tire. Firefighters reported to both scenes and contained the flames before they could erupt into full-blown conflagrations.

READ THE FULL STORY →

Princeton Police Department will pay for your Uber home from the bar: The Princeton Police Department and Uber have recently entered a partnership that will offer free rides to patrons at select Princeton bars and restaurants in an effort to reduce drunk driving. Under the program, Princeton residents, visitors, and University students can receive one free ride worth up to $15 weekly at 22 pickup locations throughout town. The University eating clubs are not included.

READ THE FULL STORY →

SPONSORED:

OPINION | College clubs need gatekeeping. That doesn’t mean they have to be cruel.

Clio Hall
Veena Krishnaraj / The Daily Princetonian

Columnist Vincent Jiang rebukes criticism surrounding the University’s competitive club culture system and suggests the implementation of various best practices to reform the process instead of trying to replace it. “As decision-makers, club leadership teams have a duty to make sure that our treasuries don’t run dry and that our businesses can keep operating. But we also have a duty to the prospective students hovering outside the door and peering inside.”

READ THE COLUMN →

SPORTS | These experiences are extremely valuable: Men’s water polo returns from California trip with lessons learned 

The Tigers will return to action this weekend at Denunzio Pool when they host Harvard, Brown, and MIT as they look to kick off conference play in strong fashion.
Courtesy of @pwaterpolo/Instagram.
At the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) Invitational, the Tigers won two of four games, with losses coming against Stanford and Pepperdine. The squad will likely drop from No. 4 to No. 6 in this coming week’s rankings.
READ THE FULL RECAP 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • CARTOON: Check out our latest cartoon, ‘PEV Restrictions.’
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Elisabeth Stewart and Jerry Zhu. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA