Monday, October 9th, 2023
Newsletter by Sidney Singer and Amy Ciceu

Sitting down with the newly elected 2027 Class Council officers 

Ryan Konarska / The Daily Princetonian

On Friday, Oct. 6, five students in the Class of 2027 were announced as winners of the Class Council election. Dean Minello, D’Schon Simmons, Aum Dhruv, Allie Ebanks, and Muhamary Kiherille were all named representatives. The Daily Princetonian spoke with the winning candidates who reflected on their campaign experiences and their goals to make the Class Council relevant. 

Twenty-three first-year students filed to run for positions in the Class Council, with many making promises of class-wide social events and merchandise distribution. Notably, while 14 women ran for positions, only one was elected, while out of nine male candidates, four were elected.

The Class Council stands apart as a distinct body from the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate, the latter of which convenes to deliberate matters of importance to student life and University policy. As part of the campaigning process, candidates make flyers, social media posts, and other promotional materials to appeal to their classmates. 

Recently, the ‘Prince’ examined the platforms and online presence of the Class of 2027 candidates, finding that many centered their platforms around increased advocacy and communication.

READ THE STORY →
Analysis by Amy Ciceu

Todays Briefing 

After student fee expansion, Projects Board can now fund club sports and student travel: On Sunday, Oct. 8, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) convened to discuss the status of the Projects Board, sports programming, Honor Committee appointments, and voted on potentially funding a ghost tour for the student body. The ghost tour, which would cost $1047.50 for a total of 25 student attendees and take place around the Princeton Cemetery, was approved in a unanimous vote.
 READ THE STORY →

A Princeton professor say they can read your mind: Princeton professor Ken Norman and his colleagues across disciplines are conducting research into the process of mind-reading. His work holds promise for advances in brain-computer interfaces, diagnosing mental illness and neurological conditions, and education. 
READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Exams shouldn’t prevent students from going home for the holidays

Snow falls on the streets of University Place.
Aarushi Adlakha / The Daily Princetonian

Guest Contributor Ignacio Arias ’25 argues that exams should not end merely two days before Christmas. Arias notes that travel this close to the holiday season entails considerable expenses, and that the prospect of winter flight cancellations places many students at risk of missing family celebrations and other meaningful moments.

“Current students should stand up for future Princetonians’ right to observe Christmas and afford them the privilege of going home in peace. If University administrators want to support geographic and economic diversity at Princeton, the calendar ought to reflect the reality that many — if not most — students cannot simply drive home for the holidays a day or two in advance,” Arias writes.

READ THE COLUMN →

SPORTS | Princeton football falls 12–9 in first loss to Lafayette since 2004

Photo courtesy of Alex Beverton-Smith.

Princeton football played their final non-conference game in their 53rd-ever matchup against the Lafayette Leopards. After a nine-point first quarter for the Tigers, Princeton struggled to put together anything offensively for the remainder of the game and eventually lost, 12–9.

This loss shattered a 12-game winning streak by Princeton against the Leopards that stretched back to 2004.

READ THE STORY →

MORE FROM SPORTS:

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA