Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Superintendent resigns as principal saga continues

School Board meeting votes on Superintendent Kelley's resignation.

Charlie Roth / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

The saga of the dismissal of the popular principal of Princeton High School Frank Chmiel ’98 continues as the superintendent who made that decision resigned late last week. The superintendent, Carol Kelley, has come under significant fire over the past year over the Chmiel, but also around broader culture wars about the balance of educational equity and academic standards: Kelley has been criticized for hiring a consultant who is against tracking at early grade levels and the focus on calculus. Chmiel is currently in the process of appealing his dismissal after the Princeton School Board voted 8-2 to prevent his reinstatement. 

Some students have tried to put the very public drama in perspective: "I think many parents were actually more upset than the students themselves,” said Peter Eaton, a senior at Princeton high school.

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Amy Ciceu

Today's Briefing 

Outdoor activities and food trucks draw more than 2000 to Community Care Day: The University hosted its inaugural Community Care Day on Friday, Oct. 27. The day consisted of numerous events including various outdoor activities, reflection spaces, and free food — all geared towards promoting the well-being of the campus community. Community Care Day emerged from the Undergraduate Student Government’s (USG) desire to prioritize student mental health on campus. Overall, the assortment of events garnered a largely positive reception among students. 

READ THE STORY →

MORE FROM NEWS:

OPINION | Redefining success at Princeton

Bright sun and green grass is all students need for an excuse to be outside.
Aarushi Adlakha / The Daily Princetonian

Guest contributor Nicholas Tippenhauer ’16 argues that navigating life at or after Princeton should not be constrained by the cumbersome weight of unrealistic, rigid expectations. Rather, Tippenhauer urges students to embrace their passions and pursue what most appeals to their interests in order to make the most of their University experience and gain substantial insight into what career paths they might ultimately choose. "The entire purpose of a Princeton education is to broaden and deepen your understanding of the world,” writes Tippenhauer.

READ THE COLUMN →

MORE FROM OPINION: 

THE PROSPECT | The Black Arts Company is Princeton “verified”

Brianna Suliguin / The Daily Princetonian

This past Friday and Saturday, the Black Arts Academy presented their Fall Showcase, “Verified.” Brianna Melanie Suliguin reflects on the performances and atmosphere of the jam-packed night. From lyrical soul movements to powerful rap formations, BAC delivers the energy to their full-capacity audiences. 

READ THE PIECE →

MORE FROM THE PROSPECT: 

SPORTS | Heartbreaking loss for men's water polo

Head coach Dustin Litvak looking on as his team was losing to a conference opponent for the first time in 757 days with less than three minutes remaining.
Picture courtesy of Nicole Maloney.

On Sunday, the No. 6 Princeton men’s water polo team lost their 30-game conference winning streak to Ivy League rival No. 13 Harvard. The 2-year streak was put to an end in a sudden death overtime resulting in a 13–14 loss. Following the loss, the team will focus on the Harvard conference tournament to secure both the championship and a spot in the NCAA tournament.

READ THE RECAP →

MORE FROM SPORTS: 

At your leisure

The Duality of Dining
Austria Merritt
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Elisabeth Stewart and Naisha Sylvestre. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA