Tuesday, October 3rd, 2023

Princeton to offer free Lyft rides to off-campus medical appointments

A P-Safe car parked in front of McCosh Health Center
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

The University is expected to launch a Lyft voucher program soon to transport students to off-campus medical appointments. It comes after the start of the University of North Carolina’s Well Ride program, which offers free Lyft rides for students accessing mental health services off-campus.

With mental health being an increasingly talked about topic around the University, this new initiative is the result of a USG plan presented in their blockbusters mental health report last fall last April, partnering with the Office of Campus Life and Lyft. One of the biggest promises from the report was a 24 hour telehealth line launched last November.

Students have also emphasized the importance of “accessible and comprehensive mental health care,” and Associate Opinion Editor Eleanor Clemans-Cope highlighted the problems of CPS’s current model of referring students to counselors outside of the University, including the added cost of transportation. This partnership takes away one barrier to accessing off-campus mental health resources. 

During the fall of last year, the Editorial Board ‘Prince’ called on USG to not let their initiatives, one of which was increasing transportation to off-campus care, fall through the cracks. With this new partnership, USG is delivering on one of its promises to increase mental health care for students.

READ THE FULL STORY→
Analysis by Olivia Chen

SPONSORED: 
Today's Briefing 

NOBEL PRIZE IN MEDICINE GOES TO HONORARY DEGREE HOLDER: Dr. Katalin Karikó’s groundbreaking work in mRNA technology earned her an honorary degree from Princeton in May 2023. Three months later, she and Dr. Drew Weissman were jointly awarded a Nobel Prize in Medicine for work that “enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19.” The urgency behind the COVID-19 pandemic prompted Karikó and Weissman to design a novel vaccine targeting the SARS CoV-2 spike protein, effectively solidifying mRNA vaccine technology towards personalized medicine and cancer treatments. 

READ THE STORY →

SZA FOLLOWS THROUGH ON PROMISE TO GIVE STUDENTS FREE CONCERT TICKETS: On Sept. 19, Grammy Award-winning artist SZA spoke at an event on campus and promised to provide students with free tickets to her tour. This week, she delivered, and a few dozen randomly selected students received free tickets to SZAs Sept. 26 concert in Philadelphia.

READ THE STORY →

More from News:

The Data Blog: Energy drinks becoming more popular

Noreen Hosny / The Daily Princetonian
The Daily Princetonian asked the Class of 2026 and Class of 2027 about their caffeine habits through the annual Frosh Survey. While both classes demonstrate similar coffee consumption rates, Class of 2027 consumes energy drinks daily at a rate 1.7 times higher than the Class of 2026. The 'Prince' also investigated caffeine intake’s relationship with AP tests, finding that of students who took 13–14 AP tests, 7.7 percent consumed energy drinks daily. 

READ THE BLOG→

OPINION | The not-so-great class of 2027: why none of us deserve to be here

Ryland Graham / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing Columnist Siyeon Lee writes that the University should adopt a partially randomized admissions process and expand the campus class size in order to eradicate the intellectual elitism they consider intrinsic to the University and ultimately equalize academia.

“If your instinctive response to this system is that it isn’t fair to those who ‘deserve it,’ remember that no form of admissions has ever been fair, and that in the end, the University’s primary purpose is not to mend all of society’s evils...A partial randomization system, though imperfect in its aims for egalitarianism, will gradually combat the ‘good because great’ mentality,” writes Lee.

READ THE COLUMN →

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Naisha Sylvestre. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA