Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Student comes to the defense of bureaucratic bloat
The tower of Nassau Hall is shown on the left and trees are shown on the right.
Dharmil Bhavsar / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning! 

Contributing columnist Anna Ferris ’26 argues that there are many benefits to a larger Princeton administration. “More administrators means more people who are managing important issues on campus,” she writes, adding that this also means a greater ability for student problems to be resolved quickly and a higher chance that University problems will be addressed creatively. 

The Daily Princetonian’s October special issue “Who Runs Princeton” revealed that since 2012, the number of non-instructional staff has increased by nearly 1,200 people. In recent years, institutions such as Harvard and Yale have also seen a similar trend, prompting a variety of student backlash against the hires. According to U.S. News, the gap between spending on instruction and on administrative support has closed steadily, especially at private, non-profit four-year schools. This may “contribute to higher costs for students,” according to the analysis. 

Last Spring, Dean of the Faculty Gene Jarrett answered questions about increased administrative hires. Jarrett defended administrative hires in his office, saying, “We could have a world where we have very limited expertise in people in leadership roles such that there are very few opportunities for leaders to interact with members of the community. That’s an alternative kind of world.”

READ THE COLUMN →
Analysis by Michelle Miao

Today’s Briefing 

Construction on new housing begins despite opposition from activists worried about neighborhood preservation: Three years after the Princeton town council passed an Affordable Housing Overlay (AHO) Ordinance, “developers have broken ground on new affordable housing in Princeton.” Controversy within the town has delayed development, with a petition last spring titled “Save Jugtown Historical District” protesting the overlay. The petition “demands that new buildings comply with historic preservation standards, reach no higher than three stories, and be visually compatible with other buildings in the Jugtown Historic District.” Twenty percent of the new housing developments are set to be affordable housing with the potential to make the town more appealing to incoming graduate students and faculty members.

READ THE PIECE →

MORE FROM NEWS:

SPONSORED:

OPINION | Princeton and the massacre in Palestine: the danger of selective empathy

Palestinians inspect the ruins of Watan Tower destroyed in Israeli airstrikes in Gaza city, on October 8, 2023.
“Damage in Gaza Strip during the October 2023” by Naaman Omar, apaimages / CC-BY-SA-3.0

Guest contributor Sameer Riaz ’24 urges the University to acknowledge “the Israeli government’s extermination of Palestinians as a reprehensible violation of human rights.” He criticizes that “selectively condemning the crimes occurring in Palestine degrades innocent lives being lost by implying that their rights are not worth defending.” Riaz cites campus discourse including guest contributions in the ‘Prince,’ the statement from the Whig-Clio party chairs, and the recent statement from University President Christopher Eisgruber ‘83 which “denounces Hamas’ actions but fails to condemn Israel’s as well.” Riaz encourages everyone to sign an open letter calling to “bring an end to the targeting of civilians by all parties and provide the support they have failed to provide for Palestinians, Arabs, and Muslims on the same level as the much-needed support they have already offered to the Israeli and Jewish members of our community.”

READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION →

PGSU: ORFE students’ experience demonstrate need for a union: Guest contributors Tim Alberdingk Thijm and Gaby Nair, graduate students in the computer science and politics departments respectively, call for the unionization of graduate students, specifically “seeking legal protection and representation by forming a union.” They describe a lack of guaranteed support for graduate students in many departments including Operations Research and Financial Engineering (ORFE) and explain the various difficulties presented to graduate students of finding the right advisor within the electrical and computer engineering, computer science, and various other departments in recent years.

READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION →

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA