Thursday, September 28, 2023
Newsletter by Sunney Gao and Kia Ghods
A pro-bono culture in Princeton consulting in light of compensation debate
Students in the economics department use the basement public spaces of the Julius Romo Rabinowitz Building to study or “case.”
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

In the ‘Prince’s recent special issue on careers, there was significant debate on the concept of "careerism," or students focusing more of their time on their career prospects rather than academics while at Princeton. Some students may not just be prepping for careers but engaging in them, for profit. 

Recently, the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business banned student-run consulting clubs from charging fees, becoming one of the first universities to do so. On the contrary, Princeton University’s consulting clubs already do not charge fees, in spite of the fact that the University does allow clubs to accept payments as compensation. 

According to president of the University’s Graduate Consulting Club, Frederick Uquillas, many students join consulting clubs as an introductory experience for future work in the consulting industry rather than profit-producing opportunities. According to data from The Daily Princetonian’s Senior Survey, 8.3 percent of graduates in the Class of 2023 and 9.5 percent of graduates in the Class of 2022 planned to begin careers in consulting after graduation. 

This may not be the end of the story.  While consulting clubs do not charge fees, there may be other clubs, such as investment clubs, that do turn a profit.

READ THE FULL STORY → 
Analysis by Kia Ghods and Sunney Gao

Today’s Briefing

Increased “incomplete” financial aid applications lead to financial delays: Financial aid awards were delayed for over 200 undergraduate students this year, with some awards still outstanding up to four weeks into the semester. These delays come following the first year of the University’s expanded financial aid policy, whereby all tuition and fees is covered for most families making up to $100,000. University spokesperson Mitchell Hotchkiss noted that the Financial Aid Office has seen an increase in incomplete financial aid applications this year. 
READ THE STOR 

Project Veritas video on sexual education in Princeton Middle School sparks outrage: Conservative activist group Project Veritas recently released a controversial video criticizing Princeton Middle School’s partnership with HiTOPS, a “non-profit organization that fosters strong and healthy young people of all identities by providing inclusive and youth-informed sex education and LGBTQ+ support for young people.” The day after the video’s release, the superintendent of Princeton Public Schools, Carol Kelly, sent an email to parents stating that the school district does not condone providing sex education to students without parental consent.
READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Students won’t take COVID-19 tests unless University accommodations improve
COVID tests in Mathey Common Room.
Ryland Graham / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing columnist Frances Brogan ’27 criticizes the University’s lack of support for students who test positive for COVID-19, arguing that testing is disincentivized due to the potential “academic ramifications” and lack of University accommodations. Brogan offers several solutions for the University to reduce hesitancy surrounding COVID-19 testing and mitigate COVID-19 spread.

“If the current policies were improved by providing more resources to infected students, more symptomatic students would test, reducing the length of this surge and minimizing further interruptions to the semester.”

READ THE COLUMN → 

DATA | Alumni from the ’90s dominate donations in the past year
Frist Campus Center bustles with students as the post-dinner crowd comes to study.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

In the past fiscal year, Princeton’s alumni, ranging from the Class of 1937 to the Class of 2022, have donated an astounding $73,785,175 according to the Annual Giving Office. Nearly $60 million came from undergraduate alumni, and 47.5 percent of those identified by the office as potential donors donated, according to the office. 

READ THE PIECE → 

PROSPECT | How do you celebrate Mid-Autumn?
Courtesy of Kerrie Liang / The Daily Princetonian

Every year as fall rolls around, East Asian and Southeast Asian communities gather to celebrate. Whether you know it as the Mid-Autumn Festival or Chuseok, September is a time to give thanks for the harvest and for harmonious reunions. This year, we asked our editors and staffers to see what this time of the year looks like for Princeton students and their families.

READ THE PIECE → 

SPORTS | Men’s soccer cruises to 4–1 win over Monmouth in Garden State clash
Senior forward Walker Gillespie scored his first goal of the season on Tuesday evening.
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

On Tuesday night, the Princeton men’s soccer team defeated the Monmouth Hawks in their first matchup since 2019. The Tigers scored 2 goals in the first half, ultimately winning 4–1. The Tigers now prepare to take on the Yale Bulldogs in New Haven at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

READ THE PIECE → 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. 
  • CARTOON: Check out our latest cartoon,  “Scooter Ban.”
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA