Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Newsletter by Michelle Miao and Jacqueline Zhou

Opening exercises for a large class

The Step-Sing.
Rohit Narayanan / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning! 

With opening exercises come academic awards. Princeton awarded seven such awards on Monday. With academic awards, STEM majors tend to be overrepresented according to the ‘Prince’ analysis. It's a trend that continues this year with four out of the seven recipients currently in STEM. Specifically, three recipients are concentrating in computer science, which is “the most common major among Princeton students.” 

This is also in line with the University’s priorities in the future of the School of Engineering and Applied Science, a key takeaway from January State of the University Letter of University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83. The shift to STEM has been a major factor in many debates in recent years.

Notably, the School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA), the University’s second most popular concentration, has had zero concentrators win prizes over the past decade, despite concentrators being overwhelmingly represented in senior class day awards last year.

READ THE STORY→
Analysis by Michelle Miao and Jacqueline Zhou

Today’s Briefing:

As class sizes expand, Nassau Hall becomes the center of opening exercises: As graduating class sizes expand, the Class of 2027 was welcomed to campus with opening exercises held in front of Nassau Hall for the second year in a row. In this year’s address to new students, University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 told students to take the challenges of their time at Princeton in stride. Eisgruber also reaffirmed Princeton’s commitment to equality and inclusion and encouraged students to engage freely in campus discourse. New students, such as Elisa Gonzalez ’27, expressed enthusiasm about the occasion, stating that it was heartening to see so many people cheer them on, and that opening exercises were a nice “showcase of what Princeton had to offer in terms of diversity.”

READ THE STORY → 
OPINION | Letter to the Editor: Why did Princeton hire Robert Malley?
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Connor Pfeiffer ’18 writes a letter to the editor regarding the University’s hiring of Robert Malley as a visiting professor and lecturer in the School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA). Malley is currently “under investigation by the FBI and the State Department for potential violations of the public.” Pfeiffer argues that “Malley’s hiring while under investigation should concern members of the Princeton community” and calls on the University to explain the decision to hire Malley.

READ THE OPINION → 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. 
  • CARTOON: Enjoy our newest cartoon, titled “... Senioritis.”
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA