Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Newsletter by Andrew Yang, Jacqueline Zhou, and Michelle Miao
Tree Falls Onto Edwards Hall
An oak tree fell over Elm Drive onto Edwards Hall.
Courtesy of Sydney Eck

Good morning!

On Saturday, Sept. 23, a large red oak tree was uprooted by strong wind at around 4:45 a.m. and fell across Elm Drive. The impact shattered the windows of two dormitory rooms and two bathrooms in Edwards Hall, forcing students to evacuate in the early morning. 

The building incurred no other structural damage, but students spoke to the ‘Prince’ about a hectic evacuation experience. Angela Cai ’27 noted confusion and lack of preparedness at Dillon. “They just told us to find friends and sleep in their dorm for the rest of the morning,” said Cai, “but it was 6:00 a.m. on a Saturday, so obviously that wouldn’t work because they were all asleep.”

This incident was caused by lingering gusts of wind from Tropical Storm Ophelia, which has caused bad weather statewide in New Jersey. In previous years, Princeton has experienced similar severe weather as a result of tropical storms, including in 2018 and 2021 when heavy rains, flooding and downed trees caused a variety of inconveniences on campus. 

Contributing columnist Thomas Buckley ’26 addressed the need to prepare for extreme weather conditions in an Opinion piece last week, arguing that Princeton can combat these challenges by cultivating greater biodiversity. “The University aims to have 85 percent of plants in its landscape be native to the mid-Atlantic region. But 85 percent isn't enough,” he writes. At the moment, “Princeton’s pristinely manicured lawns seek to assert dominion over nature rather than foster an organic and compatible relationship with the surrounding environment.”

READ THE FULL STORY → 
Analysis by Michelle Miao

Today's Briefing

Crowded field of Class Council candidates promise increased social events, advocacy for students: 23 candidates have filed to run for the Freshman Class Council, the elected student officials who plan class-wide social events and distribute merchandise. The Class Council is separate from the USG Senate which deliberates on issues of student life and University policy. The Daily Princetonian looked into the platforms and online presence of the Class Council candidates to better understand who seeks these leadership positions after just a few weeks on campus.

READ THE STOR 

OPINION | Worker safety under an orange sky
The American flag on Nassau Hall with an orange sky.
Courtesy of Alexander Norbrook

Columnist Alex Norbrook ’26 argues that more safety protocols regarding extreme heat and wildfires must be implemented for on campus workers and contractors, especially after the unprecedented and unpredictable climate changes this past summer. As it stands, there exists little to no support on a governmental level for such policies, but Princeton can take an initial step at protecting our campus workers with stronger environmental safety measures.

“Our approach to workers’ climate safety has been scattered. Princeton requires the contractors involved in campus construction to take care of their workers on their own, but there aren’t sufficient federal or state requirements to enforce adequate protection.”

READ THE COLUMN → 

SPORTS | Field hockey splits weekend games against Columbia and Northwestern 
Sophomore defender Ava Dempsey celebrating the game-winning goal against Columbia on Friday evening.
Courtesy of @TigerFH/Twitter

The Tigers got off to a strong start in Ivy League play Friday evening with a 2–1 win against the Columbia Lions. It was their 10th straight conference win dating back to October 2021. However, they fell 4–0 to the No. 3 Northwestern Wildcats Sunday morning.

READ THE PIECE → 

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Akwele Lokko, Haruka Nabeshima, and Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA