Friday, September 22, 2023
Newsletter by Aly Rashid, Kia Ghods, Kent Kim, and Tae Kim

Stalled progress on Indigenous Studies minor

Natives at Princeton affinity space in Green Hall.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

As the University continues to expand its new minors program, students have voiced concerns regarding how well it addresses their diverse and specific academic interests.

Despite years of advocacy, the timeline for an Indigenous Studies minor program remains uncertain, according to faculty and students involved with Indigenous communities on campus. While the University announced in 2020 that it would institute an endowed professorship of Indigenous Studies, the position has yet to be filled.

In an interview with the ‘Prince,’ Elizabeth Ellis, professor of history and enrolled citizen of the Peoria tribe of Oklahoma, stated that “My sense, globally, is that [the Indigenous Studies minor] is something that everybody wants, and that the University is committed to building a course of study … the big question is timeline.”

The lack of Indigenous Studies at the University may be a shortcoming, since peer institutions such as Stanford, Dartmouth, and the University of Texas at Austin all offer undergraduate majors in Native American studies. 

In an interview with the ‘Prince,’ co-president of Natives at Princeton (NAP), Gustavo Blanco-Quiroga ’25 stated, “If we really want to make Princeton a world class university like the world claims [it] to be, I think that we have to also include some Indigenous knowledge in the classroom.”

READ THE STORY→
Analysis by Kia Ghods and Aly Rashid

Todays Briefing:

University policies stir confusion among students as COVID-19 spreads on campus:  The University’s COVID-19 policies continue to create confusion after the administration lifted the vaccine mandate and closed the on-campus testing laboratory. However, with rising cases after the arrival of the Class of 2027, the University has encouraged taking rapid tests. Some students have expressed confusion about the accuracy of rapid tests, since many of those found in residential colleges were expired according to their labels.

READ THE STORY → 

OPINION | No more taking pride in college rankings

Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Associate Community Opinion Editor Christofer Robles criticizes the student body's celebration of Princeton's top spot on the US News and World Report. "Unfortunately, Princeton pride can be a privileged pride, a self-congratulatory pat on the back for attending a school with a lot of money and prestige and wanting more after graduation. The very criteria measured by U.S. News’s rankings are indicative of this," Robles writes.

READ THE COLUMN→

DATA | At Wednesday at 11, the whole campus goes to class

Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

The Daily Princetonian collected data from the Office of the Registrar to analyze all 2,161 undergraduate classes. The ‘Prince’ looked for patterns in course intervals, start times, and times when the student body is in class simultaneously. The analysis shows classes clustered during the late morning and early afternoon, with over 4000 students in class simultaneously during the busiest time of the week.

READ THE PIECE→

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Hannah Lee and Tiffany Cao. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA