Thursday, September 14, 2023
Newsletter by Sidney Singer

Housing gets organized after “chaotic” first day of fan distribution

Tess Weinreich / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

In the past few weeks, temperatures in Princeton have been unusually high. The National Weather Service referred to the heat wave as creating “dangerously hot conditions” and, accordingly, issued a heat advisory for all or parts of 15 counties in New Jersey, including Mercer County. 

Last week, the University announced they would be distributing fans to students in non-air-conditioned dorms to help cope with the soaring temperatures. After running out of fans during the first distribution, the University acquired 100 more fans and is working to distribute more to students.

This is just one of a number of infrastructure challenges that students have been facing on campus. This week, multiple students have reported significant delays in Frist mailing, and students suffered through a six-hour internet outage on Tuesday. With the graduation of the Class of 2023 and larger class sizes, infrastructure challenges may be related to a significantly larger population on campus.

READ THE STORY→
Analysis by Sidney Singer

Today’s Briefing:

Eisgruber defends academic freedom after congressman calls for book to be removed: President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 responded to a letter sent to him by Congressman Josh Gottheimer (D-N.J.) on Sept. 10 regarding the inclusion of a controversial book titled “The Right to Maim: Debility, Capacity, Disability” on a syllabus. 

READ THE STORY → 
OPINION | As Princeton remakes itself, incorporate native plants
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing Columnist Thomas Buckley argues that Princeton should be more intentional with their landscaping and what species of plants they are putting in the gardens. He writes, “If we want to solve the biodiversity crisis, we need to think carefully about the kinds of plants we choose to grow.” 

He believes that Princeton should take the lead in cultivating biodiversity, especially in response to the current climate crisis: “Princeton has an opportunity to take the lead by changing how we manage our landscapes. It should take it.”

READ THE PIECE→ 

SPORTS | The fifth quarter: life after Princeton athletics

Courtesy of @PVCTIGERS/X

Princeton Athletics alumni — including Patrick Glory ’23, who was the 2023 NCAA wrestling champion, and Julia Cunningham ’23, the previous team captain for the Princeton women’s basketball team — talk to the ‘Prince’ about their lives after Princeton. 

“Tiger alumni may go down different paths upon graduation, but the skills and relationships developed during their time as Princeton Tigers continue to benefit them long after they’ve retired their jerseys,” Associate Sports Editor Hayk Yengibaryan writes.

READ THE PIECE→ 

At your leisure

• HUMOR: Dean Dolan reportedly leaving because of lack of A/C; joining faculty of the College of the Sacred Breeze
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. 
  • PROSPECT: Five pieces of advice for first-year students, accompanied by helpful cartoons.
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA