Thursday, July 13, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen

After grad student kidnapped, debate over Princeton's response

Courtesy of Elizabeth Tsurkov’s public website

In March, Elizabeth Tsurkov, a Ph.D. candidate in the politics department, disappeared from an area frequented by international citizens in Baghdad, Iraq. Last Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced that Tsurkov was being held by the Shiite militia Kataib Hezbollah.

The New York Times confirmed with her family that she was conducting research for her Princeton dissertation in Iraq. She is the second Princeton doctoral student to be held in the Middle East within five years. Doctoral student Xiyue Wang was held in Iran for more than three years after his arrest in 2016 while traveling for research through the Department of History, resulting in a lawsuit against the University.

In a guest contribution today, Jacob Olidort GS '15 argues that Princeton should not seek to be neutral in international affairs when students are being captured. Olidort references a controversy at the time of Wang's lawsuit. In February 2022, guest contributors who worked in the Trump administration criticized Princeton for employing Dr. Seyed Hossein Mousavian, a former Iranian diplomat who had appeared to laugh when discussing death threats against an American diplomat. The American diplomat in question had worked to free Wang.  Allies of Mousavian claim the clip has been taken out of context.

Olidort backs Mousavian's opponents, writing that Princeton should both "curb adversaries’ influence on campus and advocate more assertively for their students’ education and safety."

READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION →
Analysis by Olivia Chen

Today's Briefing 

Identity-based groups brace for change in the wake of affirmative action ruling: In the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s recent ruling on race-based affirmative action, student leaders from affinity groups across campus have expressed worries about the future of their communities. Many are pushing for action from the University both in terms of admissions policy as well as caring for existing campus communities that may soon shrink.
READ THE STORY→
Ancient human relatives buried their dead 250,000 years ago, a National Geographic team with Princeton anthropologist reports: Princeton anthropology professor Agustín Fuentes and a team from National Geographic have uncovered evidence for deliberate burial practices by an extinct species, challenging notions about our evolutionary ancestors. Until now, burying the dead and other cognitive-based behaviors have only been associated with larger-brained Homo sapiens and Neanderthals. 
READ THE STORY→

More from News:

OPINION | The three ways Princeton can respond to the affirmative action ruling

The entrance of Whig Hall.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Members of the board of Princeton’s Progressive Law Society argue that there are three ways to preserve diversity on campus – each with benefits, complications, and legal and financial risks for the University. They write, “We implore Princeton to take steps as far as the limits of the law provide to progress on the issue of race, not to turn backward as our highest court suggests we do. and to do so in a way that truly promotes diversity on campus and invests in the potential of historically underrepresented groups.”
READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION→

Progressive groups: Princeton needs class-based affirmative action: Two guest contributors Nate Howard ’25 and Lake Liao ’27 argue that the current “holistic” admissions process does not practice resource-conscious admissions to an equitable degree. They write, “Princeton should use its influence to promote an admissions process that utilizes class-based affirmative action more thoroughly, while continuing to lower financial barriers for applicants and students.”
READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION→

MORE FROM OPINION:

SPORTS | San Francisco Giants select rising senior Scott Bandura and Nadir Lewis  in the MLB Draft

Bandura hit 12 home runs and 45 RBIs this season at Princeton.
Photo Courtesy of @PUTigerBaseball/Twitter.
On Monday, July 10 star outfielder Scott Bandura, currently enrolled in the Class of 2024,  was selected by the San Francisco Giants in the seventh round of the 2023 MLB draft with the 210th overall pick. The following day, the Giants additionally selected outfielder and former member of Class of 2023 Nadir Lewis  with the 600th overall pick. “It’s definitely a bittersweet feeling not being able to spend one more season with my teammates, but I look forward to watching what they do next year,” said Bandura.

READ THE FULL STORY →

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Naisha Sylvestre. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA