Thursday, June 1, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen and Amy Ciceu

Class of 2023 graduates as Eisgruber talks free expression and equality

The Ph.D. candidates cheered each other on as their respective department was called to stand.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning! 

Princeton's 276th Commencement ceremony took place on May 30th. After speeches by the Baccalaureate speaker, Kwame Anthony Appiah, and the Class Day speaker Terri Sewell ’86 — both of which centered their addresses around services — University President Christopher Eisgruber's theme was “free expression and full inclusivity for people of all identities.” 

Eisgruber has discussed free speech for years, but has recently focused on casting free speech as a progressive value, as he did in his Commencement address. He recently spoke at an event hosted by the Princeton Progressive Law Society, where he said, "I want to, among other things, urge progressives to embrace free speech as an ideal and as a practice and to take pride in the progressive heritage of that concept." Reflecting on Eisgruber's speech, Columnist Matthew Wilson criticized the President's Commencement address, saying it was a "partisan sermon."

In addition to President Eisgruber, Dean Dolan recognized and acknowledged the impact of this year’s graduates in her address, valedictorian Aleksa Milojević reflected on the beauty of Princeton and looked to their futures, and salutatorian Annabelle Duval spoke (in Latin) about the challenges of the pandemic and commented on Princeton’s historic March Madness run this year.

READ THE FULL STORY→
Analysis by Olivia Chen

Today's Briefing 

Ethicist Kwame Anthony Appiah urges students to ‘pay attention’ at 2023 Baccalaureate: During the Baccalaureate ceremony for the Class of 2023, Kwame Anthony Appiah, a University professor and philosopher, delivered a speech on the importance of awareness to leading an ethical life. The theme of the speech addressed the significance of paying attention both to one’s own interests and passions as well as to the circumstances and experiences of others, emphasizing that successful social justice movements thrive on requests that “attention be paid.” Appiah further related the speech to contemporary technological advances, including AI, which threaten to undermine the integrity of human attention spans.

READ THE STORY →

Familiar campus expansion and diversity themes, no affirmative action details in President Eisgruber’s annual address: In his annual address to University alumni, President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 addressed a bevy of relevant topics, including ongoing efforts to ensure diversity within the student body, the benefits of campus expansion, and combating the effects of technological disruption on “getting lost in thought.” Despite the imminent Supreme Court decision that pundits anticipate will spell the end of affirmative action, Eisgruber offered no concrete steps as to the University’s plans for preserving racial diversity.

READ THE STORY →

Masheke elected as YAT, 22 percent participate in election: On May 26, 2023, Mutemwa Raphael Masheke ’23 was elected Young Alumni Trustee (YAT), a victory that was formally announced at the Annual Meeting of the Alumni Council. The election process was defined by various contentions regarding campaign restrictions and characteristically low voter turnout.

READ THE STORY →

MORE FROM NEWS: 

OPINION | Minors have a purpose. Don't let administrative obstacles get in the way.

Zoe Montague / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing Columnist Aly Rashid argues that the minor program should be expansive and should not let current administrative difficulties get in the way of its core purpose: encouraging the study of a secondary field. Specifically, Rashid contends that the introduction of minors should provide students with the opportunity to “pursue in-depth departmental study” without feeling that their degree progress is being compromised in the process. Rashid considers that the University should consider removing the independent work requirement for those pursuing a minor to make minors serve more students.

“Princeton’s steps towards a formal minors program add to the rich opportunities for in-depth education in various departments present at Princeton. However, this process will only be efficient if the grievances and barriers that were present in the preexisting certificate system are removed. Let these new minors remove old major obstacles,” writes Rashid.

READ THE COLUMN →

MORE FROM OPINION: 

DATA | Which classes are more likely to have final exams? Here's what we found.

Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

The Daily Princetonian Data team explored the final exam schedules for University courses, finding that 133 out of 1332 total courses had in-person final examinations during the 2023 spring semester. In other interesting findings, exams skew towards the natural sciences, language courses and intro-level courses, tend to be held in McCosh Hall, East Pyne Hall, and the Friend Center. Check out the results of the Data team’s deep dive into final exams here.

MORE FROM DATA: 

SPORTS | Year in Review: The best Tiger moments of 2022-23 

Jadwin Gymnasium.
Photo Courtesy of Jon Ort / The Daily Princetonian.

After being ranked the No. 14 athletic program in the country, Princeton not only boasts the best undergraduate education in the world, but the best athletic program in the Ivy League. Associate editor for Sports Brian Mhando highlights key moments of entire programs and key athletes from this past academic year.

Teams such as men’s and women’s basketball and water polo, women’s rowing, and Tiger fencing had historic seasons, along with many other sports.

Top individual performances are highlighted, from an NFL draft pick, to two podium finishes in men’s wrestling, to a national championship in track and field. Tigers dominated in and beyond the Ivy League.

READ TEAM HIGHLIGHTS →

READ INDIVIDUAL HIGHLIGHTS →

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Michelle Ho '26. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA