Friday, May 5, 2023
Newsletter by Sidney Singer and Jimmy Bement
The call for a focus on racism beyond Princeton's through an academic center
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

Guest Contributors Yina Moore ’79 and Micheal Gunter ’14, in collaboration with the Black Alumni of Princeton (CBAP), argue for the implementation of an applied academic “anti-racism center” to “identify restorative measures, define policies, and promote programs to address issues of institutional and systemic racism.” 

The letter takes inspiration from University President Christopher Eisgruber’s call on the University to address racial injustice, given in 2020 in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd. In successive years, the University has published Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) reports. As the 'Prince' reported earlier this year, the most recent DEI report revealed efforts to focus on supplier diversity, faculty diversity, affinity spaces, and DEI administration.

The letter authors urge a focus on the academic research of racism through an academic center, which can impact the community beyond Princeton's campus. They urge President Eisgruber to take a more “meaningful and direct action to create a Center that almost 1,000 alumni signatories of the CBAP petition support.” 

The time is now,” they write. 

READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION →
Analysis by Sidney Singer

Today’s Briefing:

New minors allow students to explore diverse areas of interest:

University faculty approved all eight minors up for consideration, including two new minors in Climate Science and Philosophy, on April 24. Of the six brand-new minor programs approved so far, most are pared-down versions of existing concentrations/majors, opening the door for students to deeply explore areas of studies without declaring. 

The brand new minors include History of Science, Technology, and Medicine; Classics; Quantitative Economics; English; History; Climate Science; and Philosophy.

READ THE STORY → 
THE PROSPECT | Rain and spread out venues don’t dampen Princeton’s Porchfest
Isabella Dail / The Daily Princetonian

Isabella Dail covers her time at Princeton Township’s second annual Porchfest last Saturday. The event promoted artists from both the University and locals to the Princeton area. Porchfest also promoted a number of local businesses.

READ THE PIECE → 

More from The Prospect:

OPINION | A union will help graduate students achieve their goals
Zehao Wu / The Daily Princetonian

Ilyana Kuziemko, a professor of economics, and Paul Frymer, a professor in the politics department, offer support for recent calls for Princeton graduate students unionizing. The authors argue that unions will help graduate students secure higher wages, support graduate students with young families, and help Princeton become more competitive in acquiring Ph.D candidates in a time when the graduate students of several other prestigious universities are unionizing.

READ THE OPINION → 

FEATURE | ‘Understanding where we fit in’: Princeton’s growing veteran community spans borders 
Courtesy of Anna Benzeevi  '26

The number of veteran undergraduates has grown in recent years. From U.S. veterans to international students who completed mandatory service, the students shared their life experiences and perspectives on life on campus with The Daily Princetonian.

In 2016, there was just a single veteran; as of 2021, Princeton had 26 veteran undergraduates, comprising roughly 0.5 percent of the total undergraduate student population. Princeton University is now ranked fourth in the nation among the “Best Schools for Veterans,” according to U.S. News.

READ THE FEATURE → 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. 
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA