Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen and Amy Ciceu

University report reveals 16 students suspended for fraternity hazing in the past year

Kaylee Kasper / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

According to Princeton University’s biannual update on hazing, students in a fraternity and members of a student organization are being charged with a violation, resulting in 16 students being suspended, in addition to other students who have had their degree withheld or received disciplinary probation.

In 2021, the ‘Prince’ published a guest contribution from Aybars Önder ’24, who accused the Princeton Debate Panel (PDP) of hazing in the fall of 2021. “My experience with PDP leads me to worry that other clubs may have their own versions of repulsive initiation ‘traditions.’ Yet there is very little open discussion of hazing on campus, and those who go through it often choose to stay silent. By sharing my own experience in more detail, I hope to help the community recognize that some ‘traditions’ are unacceptable, deeply harmful, and must be stopped,” Önder wrote.

Accused students are assessed by the faculty-student Committee on Discipline (COD). In a separate piece, the ‘Prince’ delved into the role of the COD in academic integrity cases, noting that it handles a large percentage of cases as opposed to the student-run Honor Committee. One aspect the report revealed that was that the COD charged pledges for the hazing, not just existing members.

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Olivia Chen

Today's Briefing 

Eisgruber lauds Universitys free speech climate, pitches free speech to progressives in student event: On Saturday, April 29, University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 addressed students at a Progressive Law Society event. Eisgruber encouraged progressives to embrace the ideals of free speech. The talk comes one week after the ten-year anniversary of his selection as University president and two months after a free speech controversy at Stanford University.

READ THE STORY →

Witherspoon statue, fossil fuel disassociation, CPS funding key topics in substantial CPUC meeting: At the Council of the Princeton University Community’s (CPUC) final meeting of the academic school year, held on May 1, the committee reviewed the preliminary results of the WeSpeak Survey, announced a budget increase of 26.4 percent for undergraduate scholarships, and gave updates from the Committee on Naming on the John Witherspoon statue. The next CPUC meeting is slated to take place in September 2023.

READ THE STORY →

More from News:

OPINION | We started PGSU in 2016. Now, it’s time to unionize.

Over 150 people rally with the PGSU to support unionization efforts.
Zehao Wu / The Daily Princetonian

In a guest contribution, the architects of the Princeton Graduate Student Union (PGSU), Jamie Pelling and Sarah Reibstein GS ’22, reflect on the origins of the organization in 2016 and its drive to establish an official graduate student union. Encouraged by the PGSU’s recent efforts to promote solidarity, Pelling and Reibstein urge University graduate students to embrace the push toward collective action and usher in a new era of unionization.

“We are so proud of the graduate student organizers who have brought us to this point. It is deeply heartening to see solidarity spread across this campus. We urge Princeton graduate students to follow their colleagues at grad unions across the country to take a seat at the table, to set the terms of their employment, and to stand together as Princeton Graduate Students United,” write Pelling and Reibstein.

READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION →

SPORTS

Tigers pitching dominated against the Bulldogs, as Princeton recorded their first no-hitter since April of 2008.
Photo Courtesy of @PUTigerBaseball/Twitter.
Baseball clinches a spot in the Ivy League Tournament with a no-hitter in series against Yale: The men’s baseball team secured their spot in the Ivy League tournament after winning two of three games against Yale this past weekend. The Tigers’ pitching dominated against the Bulldogs, as Princeton recorded their first no-hitter since April of 2008.
Women's lacrosse finishes regular season play with 17–13 victory against Harvard: The women’s lacrosse team finished their regular season play with a victory against the Harvard Crimson. After a close first half, the Tigers were able to pull away in the third quarter and maintain their lead to send the Crimson back to Cambridge with a 17–13 loss.
Women’s Water Polo defeats Harvard to win the CWPA Championship for the first time since 2015: The Princeton women’s water polo team won the Collegiate Water Polo Association championship for the first time since 2015, defeating Harvard 12–8 this past Sunday, April 30. 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. Tune in to today’s episode to hear about an update on the removal of Princeton High School’s principal, a deployment of U.S. troops to the southern border, the looming threat of a default on the national debt, and student attitudes on the Honor Committee.
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Naisha Sylvestre and Bryan Zhang. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA