Monday, April 17, 2023
Newsletter by Sidney Singer and Aly Rashid 

Poe Field, Hobson College, and other construction to impact South Campus in coming years

Construction of Hobson College.
Zehao Wu / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

Campus construction has been debated extensively in the pages of the 'Prince.' Columnist Julianna Lee argued that campus construction was eradicating Princeton’s history while Contributing Columnist Alex Norbrook wrote in support of campus construction, saying that construction is critical for the University’s environmental efforts. Some have focused on the impact of construction on future students, as Columnist Tara Shukla argued last year.

New projects and delayed timelines on the south of campus give the articles new stakes. The opening of Hobson College has been delayed to 2027, a year later than expected. In addition, construction on Poe Field, which is to facilitate Princeton’s carbon neutral objective, will begin after Reunions and last for at least three semesters. 

Housing cites the need for temporary housing for the Class of 2026 before construction of Yeh/NCW was complete as the reason for pushing back the date for Hobson College’s opening. Residents of Yeh College and Scully Hall both have expressed their disappointment at losing the ability to use Poe Field recreationally and the early morning construction which is set for 7 a.m. on weekdays.

READ THE STORY→

Analysis by Aly Rashid

Today’s Briefing: 

ODOC and USG Academics Committee release nine new minor optionsThe Office of the Dean of College (ODOC) and Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Academics Committee released a new list of nine minors through an email on Friday, April 14. As part of Princeton’s transition from certificates to minors, members of the Class of 2025 and onward will be able to enroll in minors.

“The inclusion of minors into our curriculum is another step into our desire to adapt to students’ academic needs,” wrote USG Academics Chair Srista Tripathi ’25 in an email to the ‘Prince.’

READ THE STORY → 
______________________________________________________

DATA | Poll: Masheke holds healthy lead as race for Young Alumni Trustee enters final stretch

Graph by Annie Rupertus 
Mutemwa Masheke ’23 holds an 18-point lead over Mayu Takeuchi ’23 in the race for Young Alumni Trustee, our poll finds, with Caroline Kirby ’23 in third place. We break our poll down by gender, eating club, and familiarity with the candidates.

READ THE DATA HERE 

OPINION | N.J. Gov. Murphy just signed a revolutionary campaign finance law. It’s bad news for Princeton students.

Departing for elsewhere on the Dinky.
José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian

Columnist Preston Ferraiuolo argues against a new campaign finance bill signed into law by Governor Phil Murphy. The Elections Transparency Act “removes some of New Jersey’s “pay-to-play” regulations. Under the new law, businesses seeking government contracts are no longer prohibited from contributing to party committees, which fund many of New Jersey’s elections.”

According to Ferraiuolo, this means that “removing the restrictions on pay-to-play means that if a contractor donates enough to the Murphy campaign, the scales could be flipped in their favor when evaluating bids on the Dinky rehabilitation contract.” 

READ THE OPINION →

SPORTS | Women’s lacrosse defeats Brown 20–16 amid weather delays 

Senior attacker Kate Mulham scored five goals in the victory against Brown.
Photo Courtesy of @princetonwlax/Twitter.

Women’s lacrosse took the field on Saturday at noon to face the Brown Bears, not knowing that a multi-day event was underway. After several prolonged stoppages for severe lightning, the Tigers came out on top nearly a day later, defeating the Bears 20–16.

READ MORE HERE →

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA