Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Newsletter by Michelle Miao

A debate on activism vs. academics

Morrison Hall
Marcia Brown / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

Last Thursday, prospective members of Princeton’s Class of 2027 received offers of admission from the University. In a column, Opinion Editor Eleanor Clemans-Cope ’26 congratulated admitted students and encouraged them to engage in activism at Princeton. “There are urgent issues that demand student engagement on campus,” she wrote. Referring to Princeton’s informal motto of acting “in the service of humanity,” Clemans-Cope reminded students that “dismantling systemic injustice is work beyond the reach of a solitary individual.” 

Today, Myles McKnight ’23 and Matthew Wilson ’24 respond to Clemans-Cope and offer their own advice: “As a student, you are a truth-seeker above all else." They urge students to seek to learn at Princeton, not come in with a belief that they already know the truth. McKnight and Wilson have discussed truth-seeking as it relates to free speech in the past. Last September, McKnight delivered an address to the then-incoming Class of 2026 centered on the importance of freedom of expression. This February, Wilson wrote in the ‘Prince’ that the University must consistently uphold principles of institutional neutrality to avoid compromising “its ability to fulfill its truth-seeking mission.” In the column, McKnight and Wilson place a much greater emphasis than Clemans-Cope on the academic aspects of the University, specifically mentioning lectures, seminars, and guest speakers, whereas Clemans-Cope focused on student groups and protests.

McKnight and Wilson's views have gotten some pushback. Contributing Columnist Nate Howard ’25 critiqued McKnight’s speech and his other writings. “On paper, this sounds good,” Howard wrote, but argued the “free speech that they claim to fight for are secondary to their conservative ideology.”

READ THE PIECE HERE →
Analysis by Michelle Miao

Today's Briefing 

PROFESSORS HIRED: The University has not shown a pronounced increase in professors hired for the school of engineering over the past five years. They have hired 13 professors across the five engineering departments — comparable to the hiring rates for humanities departments.

READ THE STORY →

The Prospect: Six apps and extensions I use to manage my reading workload

“A Student Sitting behind a Wooden Desk with Stacks of Books and a Laptop”
Tima Miroshnichenko /CC0
Staff Writer Avery Danae Williams ’26 shares six platforms that help her manage her workload. She covers apps from Finch, which helps her prioritize her mental health, to citation websites, text-to-speech extensions, and note-taking platforms. “Princeton is a major academic transition during your first semester, especially if you load up on reading-intensive courses like I did,” she writes. With these platforms, Williams adapted with methods that allowed her to take on the challenge. 

READ THE PIECE HERE →

At your leisure

OPINION: Vote Masheke for Young Alumni Trustee

HUMOR: Young Alumni Trustee candidates storm Nassau Hall, claim election was stolen

PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. 
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathalie Verlinde and Bryan Zhang. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA