Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu and Jimmy Bement
Princeton may support student-athletes' commercial partnerships as retention questions swirl
Zehao Wu / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

In a year with incredible athletic success for Princeton, questions about how to retain top athletic talent are top of mind. The Ivy League does not offer athletic scholarships, and many top athletes transfer to a different school for their fifth year of eligibility, as did women's basketball star Abby Meyers, profiled today as she enters the WNBA draft

The July 2021 NCAA Name, Image, and Likeness Policy (NIL) change, which allows athletes to use their profiles for commercial pursuits, applied to the Ivy League, but Princeton has set rules and in the past hasn't explicitly supported athletes seeking commercial partnerships.

That may be changing. The athletics department will be partnering with Opendorse, a “NIL educational service, technology tool and marketplace” in order to better educate students on NIL regulations as well as how to best capitalize off of their platform.

The Ivy League's no athletic scholarship policy as a whole may be at risk. Two basketball players at Brown University filed suit claiming that the “Ivy League Agreement” to not offer athletic scholarships violates the Sherman Antitrust Law of 1890. One athlete described NIL as an alternative to scholarships, saying “I think this is an incredible selling point, especially for athletes here who can't get scholarships.” 

READ THE PIECE HERE 
Analysis by Jimmy Bement

Today’s Briefing 

WEEKLY USG MEETING UPDATE: During Sunday’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) meeting, Vice President W. Rochelle Calhoun and Assistant Vice President for Public Safety Ken Strother defended and clarified new campus safety policies, claiming that new cameras installed across campus do not constitute a “surveillance system.”

READ THE STORY →

YOUNG ALUMNI TRUSTEE (YAT) CANDIDATES ADVANCE TO GENERAL ELECTION:  On March 31, the University announced the results of the 2023 Young Alumni Trustee (YAT) Primary Election. Caroline Kirby ’23, Mutemwa Raphael Masheke ’23, and Mayu Takeuchi ’23 were named as the candidates who garnered the most votes. They will advance to the general election, which will run from April 25 through May 17.

Of the 1,306 eligible members of the senior class, 593 people — or 45.41 percent of the class — voted, according to University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss. 

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Dear Princeton, you must do more on Title IX

Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

In an open letter, Jessica Lambert ’22 and Hannah Reynolds ’22 propose changes that would make for a more just Title IX reporting process for survivors.

Princeton has repeatedly failed survivors of sexual violence. As alumni of the Princeton Class of 2022, we call upon Princeton University to take action to protect survivors and to implement measures that ensure safe, accessible, and just processes that keep our campus safe,” they write.

READ THE OPEN LETTER →

MORE FROM OPINION: To alleviate student stress, Princeton must expand the P/D/F option

SPORTS | Former women’s basketball star guard Abby Meyers ’22 enters the 2023 WNBA Draft

Meyers elevated her game in the Power Five, putting up 20+ points in games against Iowa, South Carolina, and Ohio State.
Photo Courtesy of Domenic Allegra/Instagram
On March 30, the WNBA announced that former Ivy League Player of the Year Abby Meyers ’22 had filed for inclusion in the 2023 WNBA Draft. Meyers spent the past year at Maryland, where she helped lead the Terps to the Elite 8 for the first time since 2015.

“There are so many amazing teams [in the WNBA] and I just looked up to all of them when I was growing up,” Meyers told The Daily Princetonian in a phone interview. “This whole experience is surreal, [it’s] like a full circle moment.”

READ THE STORY →

MORE FROM SPORTS: 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. In today’s episode, hear about former President Donald Trump’s arraignment in New York City, a forthcoming meeting between the Speaker of the House and Taiwan’s president, and the Young Alumni Trustee finalists.
  • PUZZLES: Try your hand at the Tuesday crossword puzzle, “Nacho Average Crossword,” by associate Puzzles editor Jaeda Woodruff!
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Harry Song and Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA