Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen and Jimmy Bement

Peer Reps, explained

Two former co-chairs of Peer Reps: Claire Schmeller 23 and Isra Thange 22. 
Angel Kuo / Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

In a retrospective on the Peer Representative program, Princeton Peer Representative Co-Chairs Alice McGuinness ’24 and Brian Li ’24 describe their work, which provides assistance to students being investigated by the Honor Committee and Committee on Discipline, and the positive impact that it has had on themselves and the larger university community. The program was established following a 2003 referendum to allow peer representation for accused students. Since then, Peer Reps have played a vital role in the disciplinary process. In 2021, The Daily Princetonian published an investigation chronicling, through first-hand student accounts, “a story of spiraling mental health, institutionalized alienation, and renewed hopes for reform” among those facing accusations from the Honor Committee and the Committee on Discipline.

Through this investigation, students highlighted the importance of Peer Representatives, stating that the Reps “felt like the only line of defense in helping them.” 

Earlier this month, students enrolled in COS 126: Computer Science — An Interdisciplinary Approach got a Canvas announcement from Professor David August entitled “Important Collaboration Policy Information.” Students in this course are encouraged to turn themselves in, with the department promising a “less severe [penalty] than the typical University-level penalty.” Rumors have swirled in the aftermath, sparking renewed campus discourse on the Honor Code.

Li describes how in spite of any perception of being antagonistic towards the University, the goal of a Peer Rep in assisting accused Honor Code violators is to be a “point person ... who is there to explain things to them, to provide support, to help them gather their thoughts, and to be a voice of calm and reason.”

READ THE STORY→
Analysis by Olivia Chen

Today’s Briefing 

VALEDICTORIAN & SALUTATORIAN: Aleksa Milojević was named the valedictorian for the Class of 2023, and Annabelle Duval was named salutatorian. Milojević is a mathematics concentrator from Belgrade, Serbia, and will continue his study of mathematics as a Ph.D. candidate at ETH Zurich. Duval, a history concentrator from Rhinebeck, N.Y., will be working as a paralegal in the Environmental Justice and Enforcement Section at the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York before looking to attend law school.

READ THE STORY→
USG OUT OF TIME TO PASS BUDGET AMENDMENT THIS SEMESTER: USG discussed a constitutional amendment, which would have restructured budget approval for summer spending in preparation for fall Lawnparties. The change requires two votes at consecutive meetings to pass and will not pass with one meeting remaining in the 2022–2023 academic year. Earlier in the meeting, the group also approved an additional $2,000 expense for the USG Movies committee. 

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | The Alliance of Jewish Progressives Responds to CJL’s Israel Shabbat

Naomi Hess / The Daily Princetonian

The Alliance of Jewish Progressives (AJP) denounces the upcoming “Israel Shabbat” which will be hosted at the Center for Jewish Life (CJL) this Friday night. In the guest contribution, members of the AJP wrote, “While the CJL undeniably serves as such for many students, it is long past time the student body collectively began to recognize the other clear purpose of this institution: advancing right-wing Zionist politics on Princeton’s campus.”

READ THE COLUMN→

SPORTS | Senior guard Ryan Langborg announces transfer to Northwestern

Langborg led the Tigers in scoring during March Madness, averaging 18.7 points per game.
Photo courtesy of Wilson Conn/The Daily Princetonian

After leading the Men’s basketball team in their incredible March Madness run this year, senior guard Ryan Langborg announced on Instagram Sunday that he will finish his last year of college eligibility playing for Northwestern. Pursuing a master’s degree in Sports Management, Langborg will be joining the Wildcats following their second-round loss in the NCAA tournament — their best finish in the Big Ten Conference since the 1958–59 season.

READ THE STORY→

MORE FROM SPORTS:

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA