Tuesday, April 18, 2023
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu and Olivia Chen

Activity fee increase on the USG agenda

USG members at a March 26 meeting
Justus Wilhoit / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning! 

On Sunday, April 16, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) convened their weekly meeting, during which the group deliberated a proposal that would increase student activity fees

According to Daniels, Princeton students currently pay $91 in annual activity fees compared to peer institutions like Yale and Stanford, where students are paying $125 and $537 in activity fees, respectively. Students on financial aid are not required to pay activity fees to the University. Daniels argued that the $91 activity fee should be increased to account for current budget constraints, a measure that would necessitate approval from the University administration. 

The move has been championed by Daniels and Treasurer Walker Penfield 25 since February. Daniels brought the issue of budget shortfalls to the USG’s attention in February, calling on the group to endorse student activity fee increases in order to expand USG programming. Penfield additionally voiced support for the measure, noting that it would be vital to consider “longer-term solutions with increasing student fees to match inflation.” 

Evidently, the pair think that with a larger allotted budget, USG would be able to expand programming in ways that would be popular with the student body. “Any money spent by students through their student fees should be spent on them during the semester,” Penfield said in February. He added that his goal was to “really push for more large-scale projects that utilize that whole reserve so that the impact of USG can be seen.” 

The senate debated how to get a student mandate, with student life committee chair Caitlin McNally '24 saying: “Focus groups would be useful to essentially cover our ass to show that we polled students.”

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Amy Ciceu

Today’s Briefing 

CENTER OF JEWISH LIFE HEAT WAVE: Recent high temperatures have impacted the Center of Jewish Life (CJL). The air conditioning within the building has been turned off due to construction near the CJL and given the increased number of people the CJL is serving in observance of Passover, more manual labor and heavy lifting have been demanded of staff. Currently, Facilities has already provided the CJL with fans and is hoping to get portable air conditioning units soon, as the air conditioning is not expected to be restarted until May 15.

READ THE STORY →
CLASS OF 2025 DECLARATION DAY: The Class of 2025 celebrated Declaration Day on Friday, shortly before the final deadline for sophomores to declare their majors. Some departments experienced shifts in the number of incoming majors, such as African American Studies which has recently seen one of the largest declines in declarations, with declarations between the class of 2024 and 2023 decreasing by 58.1 percent. Students also commented on the day, reporting both excitement and nerves. Sibetter Vasquez ’25, declaring in the School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA), shared the nerves around making such a lasting decision. She concludes, “I think after declaring you’re kind of like, is this the right path for me.”

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Campus Expansion and Campus Community

Despite already opening as a residential space to students, Yeh College and New College West constantly have some form of construction.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing Columnist Aly Rashid writes that Princeton’s emphasis on community is “fading” in light of campus expansion. Rashid expands on three factors of that contribute to declining community: New College West and Yeh are new and isolated to upperclassmen; campus construction has “divided us in space”; and restrictive upperclassmen residential college room draw (exacerbated by construction barriers) prevents students from living with friends who didn’t get assigned to the same residential college. As we prepare to welcome more students with the Class of 2027, Rashid urges, “We must reflect on the type of college community we are introducing them to. With continuous expansion, we face the risk of losing cohesive campus unity.”

READ THE COLUMN →

SPORTS

Sophomore utility Kayla Yelensky scored five goals on the weekend, surpassing the 50-goal mark.
Photo courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers

The Tigers have been busy this past weekend! Read about:

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jackie Wang, Nate Beck, and Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA