Friday, March 31, 2023

Class of 2027 admitted, official statistics withheld again

Nassau Hall.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning! 

Yesterday evening, prospective members of Princeton’s Great Class of 2027 received admissions offers from the University. Princeton once again refrained from releasing admissions data, including acceptance rates and standardized test scores for admitted students, a decision first made in December 2021. "We do not want to discourage prospective students from applying to Princeton because of its selectivity," Dean Karen Richardson wrote in the 'Prince' in 2022.

Opinion columnists offered a variety of theories for why the University may have made the decision not to release admissions statistics last year. Then Community Opinion Editor and current Editor-in-Chief Rohit Narayanan suggested that the University was making a good-faith effort to avoid glorifying selectivity. Senior Columnist Mohan Setty-Charity argued that the University may have stopped releasing data to stop providing ammunition to groups opposing affirmative action. In response to the University's decision, Head Opinion Editor Abigail Rabieh noted that not releasing an acceptance rate may do little to ease applicant stress.

With affirmative action likely to be ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court later this year, the demographic information about the Class of 2027 may reveal what steps the University has taken to preempt the ruling. President Christopher Eisgruber has promised to pursue a variety of strategies to preserve the diversity of the class.

READ THE STORY HERE →

Analysis by Michelle Miao

OPINION | Class of ’27, it's time to cause some trouble

Protestors outside Nassau Hall, The Daily Princetonian, April 14, 1978
Robert Saunders / The Daily Princetonian

Associate Opinion Editor Eleanor Clemans-Cope ’26 congratulates Princeton’s Class of 2027 and encourages them to join Princeton’s activist groups. She critiques the individualistic, ineffective activism that characterizes high school extracurriculars, writing that “dismantling systemic injustice is work beyond the reach of a solitary individual.” She highlights Princeton student groups, from Divest Princeton to Students for Prison Education, Abolition, and Reform (SPEAR) who are working together to demand change from the University.

READ THE COLUMN →

SPORTS | Tosan Evbuomwan declares for the 2023 NBA Draft

Across his three NCAA tournament games, Evbuomwan averaged 16.0 points, 7.3 rebounds and 6.0 assists.
Photo Courtesy of @TwitterMBB.

After the Tigers' Cinderella run to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, men’s basketball standout Tosan Evbuomwan has officially declared for the 2023 NBA draft. On Wednesday, March 29, Evbuomwan told ESPN that he would forgo his final year of college eligibility to take his shot at the NBA. In his Instagram post bidding farewell to Princeton basketball, he wrote, “Together with my teammates [the coaching staff] have offered a home away from home that I will always cherish.” 

READ THE STORY

More From Sports:

At your leisure

HUMOR: PODCAST:
  • Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. 
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Naisha Sylvestre and Auhjanae McGee. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA