Friday, March 3, 2023
Newsletter by Michelle Miao and Jacqueline Zhou

As Supreme Court ruling looms, calls to take action on affirmative action

Abby de Riel / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning! 

Guest Contributor Luke Carroll ’26 writes that in light of the Supreme Court potentially overturning affirmative action in higher education within the next few months, Princeton must seek declaratory relief for its admissions practices. Declaratory relief amounts to “asking the court to clarify the bounds of the ruling to prevent it from being stretched through lawsuits.” Carroll believes this will protect Princeton from bad-faith litigation calling for the university to reduce diversity in its student body. 

Last October, the Supreme Court heard arguments in two cases in which Students for Fair Admissions (SFFA) challenged Harvard and the University of North Carolina over unlawful “racial preference” in admissions. In the cases, SFFA accused Harvard of discriminating against Asian-Americans and claimed that UNC gave unfair priority to Black, Hispanic, and Native American applicants over White and Asian applicants. The Supreme Court has upheld affirmative action programs in the past, but the court's recent rightward tilt imperils over 40 years of precedent. 

As of the 2022-23 academic year, 9 percent of Princeton’s undergraduates are Black and 11% are Hispanic. In comments made after the oral arguments last year, Udi Ofer, a visiting professor at the School of Public and International Affairs, told the ‘Prince,’ “I don’t think there’s a way to sugarcoat it. This will have a significant impact on what student bodies across the country will look like.” Faced with the very real possibility of less diversity on campuses, Carroll argues: “Princeton cannot allow conservative elements to rob us of members of our college community without the maximum resistance.”

READ MORE HERE →
Analysis by Michelle Miao

Today's Briefing 

The tenure process, explained: Assistant News Editor Miriam Waldvogel ‘26 and News Contributor Kelly Kim ‘26 explain how tenure, which is meant to ensure academic freedom with strong job protections, works at the University. The University’s second Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Report emphasized the goal of increasing diversity in academic hiring. Although the demographics of non-tenure-track faculty are more similar to the undergraduate student body, currently tenured professors remain overwhelmingly white and male

READ THE STORY →

University corrects PGSU tweet, clarifies smaller raise ratified before unionization drive: A memo from the Office of the Dean sent on March 2 corrected a false tweet from the Princeton Graduate Students Union (PGSU) that stated the University had raised stipends by $5,000 dollars for the 2023-2024 academic year. Instead, Dean of the Graduate School Rodney Priestley had sent a memo stating the annual stipend will be between $47,880 and $50,400 for the 2023-2024 academic year. This represents a five percent — approximately $2,000 — increase from the current 12-month stipends of $45,600 to $48,000. According to Priestley, this change was communicated to incoming graduate students in January, before the union drive.

READ THE STORY →

Late-night bus for students returning from parties sees decrease in use post-pandemic: Since the pandemic, the UMatter bus has provided weekend late-night service for students to ride home from the Eating Clubs. According to Janine Mascari, head of the Peer Health Advisors (PHS) program, about 2500 riders took the bus per academic year prior to the pandemic, but there were only 400 riders last year.

READ THE STORY →

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Naisha Sylvestre and Auhjanae McGee. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA