Tuesday, March 28, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen, Jimmy Bement, and Amy Ciceu

Tigers in Town continues another year

Members and observers at the March 26 USG meeting
Justus Wilhoit/The Daily Princetonian

On Sunday, March 26, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) renewed the Tigers in Town program at its weekly meeting. The program was established during the Spring 2021 semester as many students returned for a mostly virtual semester at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Tigers in Town was initially conceived as a means of providing students with opportunities to socialize while simultaneously supporting local businesses by offering students vouchers for free food.

That semester, USG amended the budget to allocate funding to the program, and at a Princeton Town Council meeting in March 2022, University President Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 revealed that the University had contributed upwards of $171,000 to the program.

Due to the program’s popularity, Tigers in Town was approved to continue into the Fall 2022 semester, and its positive reception has guaranteed its persistence into the present day. The specific programs the USG chose to sponsor reflect how the program has evolved to promote more group events rather than individual students getting food from restaurants.

Possibly building on the program, USG has also pioneered the Pay with Points program, which affords students on the unlimited meal plan a $150 stipend in the form of Dining Points to use at select local establishments throughout the course of each semester. Similar to Tigers in Town, the Pay with Points program has been a success, with The Daily Princetonian’s data team finding that students collectively spent nearly $140,000 over the entire Fall 2022 semester using their Dining Points.

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Amy Ciceu

Today’s Briefing 

Terri Sewell ’86 announced as 2023 Class Day Speaker: The University announced yesterday that U.S. Congresswoman Terri Sewell ’86 will be this year’s Class Day speaker — picking a University trustee who speaks frequently to University students. During her time at Princeton, Sewell concentrated in the School of Public and International Affairs before earning her Master’s in Politics at Oxford and J.D. at Harvard Law School. Sewell is a seventh-term congresswoman representing the 7th congressional district in Alabama and is currently serving on the House Ways and Means Committee, as well as the Steering and Policy Committee. In response to Sewell’s selection, Class Day Co-Chair Douglas Robins ’23 remarks “Congresswoman Sewell has centered uplifting other people at the core of her work while still being true to herself.”

READ THE STORY →

Princeton Neuroscience Institute and Basketball: A 2020 study from James Antony, a C.V. Starr Fellow at PNI, and other researchers examine brain behavior and processing of unexpected outcomes in basketball — and could have new implications for Princeton basketball fans from Princeton’s recent run in March Madness.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | The Office of Disability Services has made significant progress in making campus more accessible

The exterior of the Office of Disability Services in Frist Campus Center.
Naomi Hess / The Daily Princetonian

Liz Erickson, who has served as the University’s director of disability services since 2016, wrote to the ‘Prince’ that the University hopes to continue helping students navigate academics, traverse campus, and participate in extracurricular activities. She reflects on the office’s support of different disabilities, including mental health, cognitive, physical, sensory, and medical disabilities, and their current work in making the construction of the new dormitories accessible. Erickson also promotes the AccessAbility Center’s program, “Allies for Access,” emphasizing the idea that “there is also a role for administrators, faculty, and students who, regardless of their ability, care deeply about making campus accessible.”

READ THE COLUMN →

MORE FROM OPINION:

SPORTS | Tosan Evbuomwan named to All-Tournament Team

Senior forward Tosan Evbuomwan leaves the court triumphantly following Princeton’s win over Arizona.
Wilson Conn / The Daily Princetonian

After leading the men’s basketball team on a historic run to the Sweet 16, senior forward Tosan Evbuomwan was named to the NCAA Tournament’s South Regional All-Tournament Team on Sunday. In three NCAA Tournament games, he averaged 16.0 points, 6.0 assists, and 7.3 rebounds. He led the Tigers in assists in two of their three games and led them in scoring in their round of 64 win over the Arizona Wildcats with 15 points. His plans after Princeton are not yet public, but the story of Princeton basketball will be incomplete without mention of Evbuomwan and his contributions to the program.

READ THE STORY →

The Remarkable Story of Brad Snyder: Since being blinded by an improvised explosive device (IED) in 2011 while deployed overseas, athlete and Princeton Ph.D. student Brad Snyder has won six gold medals across multiple Paralympic Games. Snyder is pursuing a Ph.D. at Princeton as part of his goal to become a professor at the Naval Academy. He says he is taking a “sabbatical” and will not compete for a spot on the Paris 2024 Paralympic Team, but he hopes to compete for a spot on the Los Angeles team for the 2028 games, which will be his last go around.

READ THE FEATURE→

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. In today’s episode, hear about the University’s S.C.R.A.P. Lab, the 2023 Class Day Speaker, a tragic school shooting in Nashville, and updates on the ongoing Israeli judicial crisis.
  • PUZZLES: Try your hand at the Tuesday puzzle, “Hump Day,” created by staff writer Sabrina Effron!
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Harry Song, Nate Beck, and Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA