Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Newsletter by Michelle Miao and Hareton Song
Looking into rooms available for students
Joline Hall
Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

As students gear up for room draw, the selection process can be a daunting task. Across eight draws, there are 1,890 rooms spanning 53 buildings to choose from for the 2023–2024 academic year. In an analysis, the ‘Prince’ explores the room types, occupancies, and square footage of each option, shedding light on the largest and smallest rooms, as well as the differences between residential colleges and upperclass housing.

Last March, Director of Housing Dorian Johnson explained new changes in the room draw process in order to accommodate shifts such as the University’s transition to a fully integrated four-year college system and the expansion of the undergraduate population by 500 students over the next four years, starting from the class of 2026. He cited last year’s room draw, when students could draw into any residential college, as a learning experience that would help the administration determine what additional changes need to occur to streamline the process. 

In his 10th annual address to the Princeton Town Council at the end of this February, University President Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 addressed the expansion of the undergraduate population and said that the new residential colleges, fortunately, had enough housing to accommodate a larger-than-expected class. If student numbers had exceeded dorm capacity, he speculated, the University may have had to house students in trailers on Poe Field. Currently, Princeton is addressing the increasing demand for housing by further expanding residential capacity through projects such as the construction of Hobson College, which is set to open in 2026. 

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Michelle Miao

Today’s Briefing 

EVACUATION FROM THE ARCHITECTURE BUILDING: On Tuesday afternoon, emergency vehicles amassed on the Prospect House driveway in response to a fire alarm set off in the architecture building. The incident was caused by a smoking router bit, a tool used to drill into wood and other materials and which can cause overheating when used at high speeds. Though there was a significant buildup of smoke, there was no active fire. Architecture major Keith Zhang ’24, who was at his workspace in the building at the time, shared that he at first believed the alarm to be a drill, but became “a bit concerned” when fire engines arrived at the scene. No one was hurt in the incident.

READ THE STORY →

SEWER LINE FLOODS AT THE INTERNATIONAL FOOD CO-OP: On Monday, a sewer line backed up into the International Food Co-op (IFC) kitchen and storage rooms in 1901-Laughlin Hall, flooding the facilities. Members of the co-op are currently displaced temporarily in order for the spaces to be cleaned and the damages assessed. They have been given meal swipes until Friday, when their space will reopen. “We decided to cancel cookshifts entirely until Friday,” said IFC stewards. “Our kitchen is unusable, staples like potatoes and onions had to be junked, and setting up a plan B HQ is a big hassle compared to just using the swipes.” IFC officers also expressed concern about damages to more costly supplies, specifically appliances and ingredients bought in bulk.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Princeton SHP Should Cover Advanced Reproductive Treatment

McCosh Health Center
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

A guest contributor to the ‘Prince’ critiques the lack of support the Princeton Student Health Plan provides for advanced reproductive treatment such as in vitro fertilization (IVF). Granted anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the subject matter, they describe challenges they have faced while undergoing the IVF process. They state that due to Princeton’s lack of coverage, the process “heavily constrained our finances and caused extreme financial hardship.” They argue that Princeton’s health plan, which is self-funded and does not need to follow state mandates, should nevertheless comply with a New Jersey law that guarantees coverage of IVF treatments. “There is no reason why Princeton, an institution with an endowment of $35.8 billion, cannot cover these costs, especially when failing to do so goes against the state mandate and puts the burden of astronomical medical bills on the students,” they write. 

READ THE PIECE HERE 

PROSPECT | Navigating Allergies at Princeton

Thai Village, located on Nassau Street.
Julian Gottfried / The Daily Princetonian

Staff writer Avery Danae Williams shares her personal journey of growing up with life-threatening allergies and how she has learned to advocate for herself in social settings, now as a student at the University. Williams describes the challenges and triumphs of navigating campus social life while staying true to her needs. Williams’ piece shows how, in addition to Campus Dining’s efforts to accommodate students’ dietary needs, we as individuals can help other students rejoice in shared meals and the sense of belonging and community they bring.

READ THE ESSAY HERE 

PROSPECT | Ten things I love about Princeton

Nassau Hall
Caroline Kirby

Guest contributor Caroline Kirby ’23 takes us on a mesmerizing tour through the moments she most appreciates at the University. From the powerful memories attached to seemingly unassuming buildings, to the seasonal shifts that transform the campus, and to the warmth of friends and people in daily life, this article captures what the author deems the essence of Princeton’s uniqueness. In her reflection, Kirby reveals the heart and soul of Princeton by weaving together the ordinary moments of her life here.

READ THE ESSAY HERE 

At your leisure:

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA