Thursday, March 2, 2023

Transfer program has doubled in size in last year

Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

Last year, Princeton announced that it would begin expanding its transfer program to admit 25 to 35 transfer students a year. The change comes as the University has been periodically increasing its pool of transfer students since it resumed accepting them students in 2017

Princeton stopped accepting transfer students in 1980 to make room for freshmen amidst a housing shortage. The move made Princeton the only Ivy League school at that time to not accept transfer students. Even before the ban, Princeton only accepted a few transfer students each year, which was contingent on housing availability. 

In 2017, the University announced that it was going to resume accepting transfer applicants.  The reversal was an attempt at attracting “students with diverse backgrounds and experiences, such as military veterans and students from low-income backgrounds, including some who began their studies at community colleges,” according to the University’s strategic planning framework. Recently, Shaun Cason ’23 became the first transfer student and military veteran to win the Sachs scholarship.

In 2018, the University accepted 13 transfer students. In 2019, it also accepted 13 applicants, at an acceptance rate of 1.3 percent. With the University’s recent announcement, the number of transfer students on campus will drastically increase, as the size of each incoming freshman class also increases, with the Class of 2026 being the largest first-year class in Princeton’s history.

READ THE STORY →
Analysis by Julian Hartman-Sigall

Todays Briefing:

As Ramadan approaches, Muslim students are concerned about the availability of Halal food options on campus. In response to feedback from last year, students can register for the Campus Dining Ramadan Program for the celebration of Ramadan, where Muslim students fast from sun up to sun down.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Create history, stop destroying it

The Wu-Wilcox dining hall prior to construction.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

In a column, Julianna Lee ’25 criticizes the University's constant reconstruction of University buildings. She writes, “My memories are intimately tied to the physical spaces in which they occurred. Of course, the University will always have to renovate buildings that are decaying from age, but it is wasteful and damaging to knock down perfectly stable buildings to modernize the style.”

READ THE STORY →

The Prospect | Roaring 20 presents Resonance

Roaring 20's 'RESONANCE' show.
Jessica Wang / The Daily Princetonian

Roaring 20, a co-ed a cappella group on campus, performed their first of a normally biennial “Jam” in four years on Saturday, Feb. 18 at 8 p.m. in Richardson Auditorium. The show, called “Resonance,” marked the group’s 40th anniversary and featured guest performances from the Mixtapes NYU — visiting from New York University (NYU) — Fuzzy Dice Improv Comedy Group, and BodyHype Dance Company.

For nearly two and a half hours, Roaring 20 stunningly performed three full sets, starting in their iconic formal red and black attire and changing to casual black before finishing off in white. The show featured 20 covers from a wide range of musical decades, including songs from Cyndi Lauper, Coldplay, and Lady Gaga.

READ THE STORY →

On the rise: Triple 8’s “UPRISING”
At a performance by the University’s premier East Asian dance company, Triple 8, the group’s dances featured various aspects of East Asian culture. Pieces included traditional music, dresses, and props like fans and swords. In one piece, the dancers created imagery of a lotus, once again giving a nod to Chinese culture.

The whole theater glowed in red — Triple 8’s signature color — as the dancers took their places on stage for the show’s first piece: “Enter the Dragon.” The piece was centered around East Asian martial arts, incorporating kicks and turns to showcase the essence of the group’s identity. Under the ominous lighting, dancers ran around in circles with their arms spread out, creating an image of a dragon.

READ THE STORY →

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Liana Slomka and Lindsay Pagaduan. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA