Wednesday, March 1, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen and Michelle Miao

International students raise a potential gap in Princetons financial aid

Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning! 

Gil Joseph ’25 and Mutemwa Masheke ’23, international students from Haiti and Zambia respectively, call on Princeton to cover the cost of the tax on financial aid above tuition leveled on international students from certain countries.  The 14 percent tax can amount to thousands of dollars. Joseph, who attends Princeton on full financial aid, notes that the bill is mentioned to students but “the University doesn’t explicitly say that the burden of paying the fee is on the student.” As a result, many students are forced to take out loans. To assist international students with these taxes, schools such as Yale has a policy that covers this tax bill for high-aid international students all four years.

Many colleges, including Brown, do not consider financial need in the admissions process for domestic students, but consider how much aid a student will need for international students. Princeton, however, claims to be need blind for all students, including international students. Yet when financial aid was increased in 2022, Gianmarco Miranda Buena ’25 raised doubts about how financial aid guidelines apply to international students. “Last year, if you earned under $65,000, you're supposed to not pay anything. However, I think it varies a lot for international students and that ends up not being true,” he said.

“As things stand, Princeton should stop claiming to be loan free. Low-income international students know the truth — it’s not,” Joseph and Masheke write.

READ THE STORY→

Analysis by Michelle Miao

Todays Briefing 

University announces raise for grad students: Following a two-week union campaign led by Princeton Graduate Students United (PGSU), where over 1,600 graduate workers signed union cards, the University will raise graduate student stipends by at least $5,000. The PGSU Organizing Committee writes, “This is the first of our union wins, but it’s not enough,” and they still need to address the “systemic power imbalance that we can right with a union.”

READ THE STORY→

MORE FROM NEWS:

OPINION | Legitimizing Princetons Service Landscape

Frist Campus Center, where the Office of Diversity & Inclusion is located.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing columnist Jalen Travis ’24 argues that the University’s motto “in the nation’s service and the service of humanity,” belies its consistent lack of encouragement for students seeking to explore service opportunities in their academic work. Travis notes that while the Program for Community-Engaged Scholarship (ProCES) attempts to integrate service into the academic experience, its goals fall far short of its ideals as it remains “underfunded, under-resourced, and understaffed.” Rather, Travis calls on the University to authorize an option that enables students to receive course credit for participating in service work as a key component of its academic curriculum.

“Course credit for service work is not an incentive or bribe to get more students to participate in service, but is a requirement for the University to legitimize the service landscape at Princeton — mainly among the providers of service opportunities,” writes Travis.

READ THE OPINION→

SPORTS | Julia Cunningham joins 1000-point club

Julia Cunningham sinks in her 999th, 1000th, and 1001st points
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonWBB/Twitter

During the Tigers' visit to Columbia, senior guard Julia Cunningham sunk a three to earn her 999th, 1000th, and 1001st points, making her the 27th member of the Princeton women’s basketball 1000-point club. Cunningham attributes her success to “hard work when nobody’s watching” and taking “pride in that every single day is important.” Despite her individual success, Cunningham says that her focus is now on winning another conference championship.  

READ THE FEATURE→

MORE FROM SPORTS:

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Abby Bacall,
Bryan Zhang, Will Roberts, and Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA