Wednesday, February 8, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen and Hareton Song

Letter calls on English dept. to condemn lecture by Palestinian writer accused of antisemitism

Natalia Maidique / The Daily Princetonian

Last November, in response to rising anti-Jewish rhetoric and violence in the United States, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate debated putting forth a referendum to define and condemn antisemitism under the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition, but the referendum failed to gain sufficient support in the Senate and was not voted on. At a special meeting later that week, the USG voted to pass a resolution to “condemn and combat antisemitism.”

Now, in a letter signed by Princeton community members and delivered to the English department by Alexandra Orbuch ’25, authors called on the department to condemn its Feb. 8 Edward W. Said ’57 Memorial Lecture, which features writer Mohammed El-Kurd, due to allegations of antisemitism. The letter states that “El-Kurd has a demonstrated history of repeated anti-Jewish bias and remarks, including comparisons between those who support the Jewish State of Israel and Nazism.

In response, Acting Chair of the English Department Jeff Dolven stated that the English department has “always granted great autonomy to faculty in making invitations … [and] departmental sponsorship is not an endorsement of what a speaker has said or might say” and emphasized the importance of “open dialogue” in a “safe space.”

Notably, the letter does not call on the English department to cancel the lecture or disclaim sponsorship.  “In the name of free speech, we are not demanding that the Department of English retract its sponsorship,” the authors write. Instead, they asked “that the department condemn the event and pledge to work with Jewish partners on campus ... to host another speaker event.” 

Invitations and protests of controversial speakers have played a prominent role in free speech debates, as noted by Associate Opinion Editor Eleanor Clemans-Cope in a recent column.

On Wednesday, February 8, the English department will continue with the lecture as planned, with El-Kurd as a speaker. 

READ THE FULL STORY HERE

Analysis by Olivia Chen

Todays Briefing 

Jaqueline “Jaki” Gonzalez ’25 died at the Children’s Hospital of Chicago on Feb. 1 due complications related to liver and kidney failure following a prolonged illness. Gonzalez was on a leave of absence this semester to focus on her health. She was 19 years old.

READ MORE HERE →

MORE FROM NEWS:

OPINION | Join us at the CJL, but please be mindful

Naomi Hess / The Daily Princetonian

With the shutdown of Wu Dining Hall at Butler College, more students have turned up to eat at the Center for Jewish Life, the only option for Kosher-keeping Princetonians. In their opinion piece, Myles McKnight ’23, Henry Koffler ’23, and Adam Hoffman ’23 express their warm reception of non-Jewish students but ask for consideration for Kosher-keeping peers, as many have been forced to forgo lunch due to overcrowding at the CJL. They ask their non-Jewish peers for sensitivity: “If you arrive at the CJL to find the lunch line running to the back door, consider eating elsewhere if you can afford to,” they write. 

READ THE COLUMN →

SPORTS | Andrei Iosivas competes in Senior Bowl 

Andrei Iosivas in action at the Senior Bowl
Photo courtesy of @Princetonftbl/twitter
On Saturday, Feb. 4, senior wide receiver Andrei Iosivas participated in the Reese’s Senior Bowl, a showcase of the best National Football League (NFL) draft prospects in the nation. Following in the footsteps of Hollie Donan ’51 and Caraun Reid ’14, Iosivas is the third Tiger to play in the Senior Bowl and the first Ivy League representative since 2016.

READ THE STORY →
GUTTORMSEN BROTHERS: Senior pole vaulters Sondre and Simen Guttormsen, brothers on the Princeton track and field team, have made NCAA and Ivy League history. Two of the top pole vaulters in the NCAA discuss their student-athlete life balance, sibling dynamic, and plans after graduation. 

READ THE STORY →

At your leisure:

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA