Monday, February 6, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen and Aly Rashid

Roughly a dozen Divest Princeton protesters push for ‘complete dissociation’ from fossil fuel companies

Abby de Riel / The Daily Princetonian

Good Morning!

Many will remember the past Friday morning as one of the coldest we have had in this academic year. Despite the cold, about a dozen members of Divest Princeton gathered in front of Blair Arch to push the University to fully dissociate from fossil fuel companies.

Princeton announced its dissociation from 90 fossil fuel companies involved in certain sectors of the fossil fuel industry on Sept. 29, five days after a sit-in by members of Divest Princeton on Global Climate Strike Day.

Since the divestment, some have pushed Princeton to go further. Columnist Nate Howard and guest contributor Alex Norbrook argued that the University should divest the remainder of its endowment from fossil fuels and cease recruiting on campus. Prominent Divest activists have remained active in pushing the University on the environment, as alumni Tom Taylor and Lynne Archibald argued in December that the University should reckon with its past of educating climate change deniers.

Divest Princeton leaders claim to be launching a new campaign, which aims to get the University to divest the remainder of its endowment from fossil fuels and cut research funding from fossil fuel companies.

READ THE STORY →
Analysis by Aly Rashid and Olivia Chen

Today’s Briefing 

FLORIDA’S AP AAS BAN: 
Following Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’s decision to block the Advanced Placement African American Studies course from being taught in Florida high schools, the ‘Prince’ analyzes the differences and similarities between the AP African American Studies curriculum and the courses offered by the Princeton Department of African American Studies. Princeton faculty and African American Studies concentrators comment on the implications of DeSantis's decision for students and universities.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Mental Health and Streaming Services

Justin Cai / The Daily Princetonian

Grace Rosenberg, a senior in the German department at Princeton, writes, If the University is to make strides toward supporting students’ mental health, it must encourage and fund not only community events, but also resources for students to spend stress-free time alone.”

Rosenberg argues that while the University strives to foster community through events like Lawnparties and residential college study breaks, it can be draining for introverts and students with mental health challenges, like anxiety. She references her choice of solitude, watching the Apple TV series “Ted Lasso,” and proposes that the University also pay for streaming services for students.

READ THE COLUMN →

SPORTS| Men’s Basketball and Ice Hockey

First-year guard Deven Austin threw down a dunk that gave the Tigers a three-point lead with under four minutes to play.
Courtesy of @PrincetonMBB/Twitter.
Men’s Basketball: After a disappointing loss to Yale on Jan. 28, the men’s basketball team used a second-half comeback to take down Cornell at Jadwin Gymnasium. The following evening, the Tigers comfortably took care of business against the Columbia Lions to top the Ivy League standings with five games remaining in the regular season. The win against Cornell marked the 200th career win for head coach Mitch Henderson ’98 with the Tigers.

READ THE STORY →

Men’s Ice Hockey: After scoring four goals in the final 8:23 of the game, the Princeton men’s ice hockey team surged to a 7–3 win over the Dartmouth Big Green. Against the last-place team in the ECAC, the Tigers dominated the shots on goal and possession totals for the majority of the game, but the Big Green kept the game close until the Tiger’s five-goal third period.

READ THE STORY →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the first episode of Daybreak: Behind the Investigation. Today, we preview a data investigation on the financials of the eating clubs featuring David Yan and Grace Zhao. 
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Miriam Waldvogel and Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA