Tuesday, February 21, 2023
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu, Jimmy Bement, and Olivia Chen

Women’s basketball dominates weekend games

The Tigers outscored their opponents in every quarter of play over the weekend, and shot a season-high 55.9 percent from the field against Brown.
Courtesy of @PrincetonWBB/Twitter.

Good Morning!

The Women’s Basketball Team secured a spot in the Ivy Madness Tournament this past weekend, beating both Brown and Yale. The Tigers have been on a roll the past few weeks, with junior Kaitlyn Chen scoring an incredible 45 points cumulatively over the weekend. 

The Tigers had a blowout victory (80–37) in Providence, with Chen and first-year guard Madison St. Rose leading the way. The Tigers dominated in the second half, setting a season-high record of 33 points in one quarter. For the second time in head coach Carla Berube’s tenure, the Tigers went an entire quarter without being scored on. Senior center Kira Emsbo became the first Princeton player, and the 15th player in NCAA history since 2009, to record three blocks and two points in less than five minutes.

The team then attained a 26-point victory over the Yale Bulldogs on Saturday. Chen once again led the team on offense, scoring 20 points, while junior forward Ellie Mitchell led the team in rebounds. Coach Berube also gave a special shoutout to senior point guard Maggie Connolly, commenting, “Maggie runs our offense really well and just understands the game … having [Connolly and Chen] play together is definitely a benefit and a great spark off the bench.”

As the league’s top defensive team, the Tigers will go on to play in the Ivy League Tournament this March, which they won last year. The winners of the Ivy Madness tournament receive an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. The Tigers are currently tied with Columbia for the top spot of the Ivy League standings, with Harvard and Penn also qualifying for the Ivy League tournament. The team will have its senior night and final regular season match this Friday, Feb. 24, facing Harvard in Jadwin Gym.

READ THE FULL STORY →

Analysis by Jimmy Bement

Today’s Briefing 

EISGRUBER SPEAKS AT FIRST CPUC MEETING OF 2023: At the first meeting of the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) in 2023, University president Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 reviewed various items in his Annual Letter to the Community, including the University’s ongoing expansion and potential solutions to the issue of student mental health. In addition, the administration addressed questions regarding construction and heard concerns voiced by faculty.

READ THE STORY →

WEEKLY USG MEETING: On Sunday, Feb. 19, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) convened its weekly meeting, during which it approved the budget, confirmed new committee members, received committee updates, and discussed the Mental Health World Organization. Additionally, members shared various proposals, including investing in Lawnparties, reopening the Campus Pub, and the expanding Mental Health Week.

READ MORE HERE →

WHERE DO STUDENTS SPEND THEIR DINING POINTS? Conceived as a way to strengthen Princeton students’ relationship with the town, the Pay with Points program initiated by recently elected USG president Stephen Daniels ’24 provides students on unlimited meal plans with $150 per semester to spend at select local food establishments. The Data section conducted a comprehensive analysis of data available from the first fall semester in which the program was pioneered to reveal how often students used their dining points, the most highly frequented off-campus vendors, and more.

CHECK OUT THEIR FINDINGS HERE →

OPINION | Changing our approach to DEI

Kaylee Kasper / The Daily Princetonian

In response to Princeton’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Annual Report, guest contributor Uma Fox ’26 states that the “University presents progress worth recognizing,” such as higher levels of faculty and student diversity and landmark anniversaries for many affinity spaces on campus. 

However, they claim that “the narrative surrounding diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) leaves much to be desired,” and President Eisgruber’s statement attempts to “laud the successes of diverse members of our community … misses the mark.” They write, “When we depict DEI as a mere ‘investment’ and a step towards the accrual of meritocratic excellence, we imply that it would not be a priority if it didn’t have value for the University’s wider goals.

READ THE COLUMN →

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: THE ORL IS RIGHT TO RECOGNIZE YOM HAZIKARON AND YOM HAATZMAUT: Guest Contributor Yonah Berenson ’25 responds to “Why is the Office of Religious Life celebrating Israel’s Independence Day?” by Zachariah Sippy ’23. Berenson claims, “No one feels pressure to observe them because the ORL listed them as Jewish.” He writes, “Sippy need not recognize those days with me and the dozens of Jews on Princeton’s campus who will. But if anything is “reactionary,” it is his demand that our very real religious practices be excluded and ignored.”

READ THE COLUMN →

AT YOUR LEISURE

• PUZZLES: Try your hand at the Tuesday crossword puzzle, “Dress Code,” by contributor Mikaela Lavandero.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. In today’s episode, hear about a Women’s Basketball win, Biden’s recent visit to Ukraine, another change to social media verification, and a second earthquake in Turkey and Syria.
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jackie Wang, Nate Beck, and Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA