Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu, Jimmy Bement, and Olivia Chen

Princeton fencing dominates at Ivy League championship round-robin

Women’s fencing poses with the Ivy League championship trophy
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com 

Good morning, and happy Valentine’s Day!

This past weekend, No. 2 ranked Princeton women’s fencing swept the competition for the second year in a row at the annual Ivy League Fencing Round-Robins in Ithaca, N.Y. The men’s team, also ranked No. 2 in the nation, ended the tournament in third with a 2–2 record. 

The women’s team, after finishing as runners-up at the three Ivy League Championships from 2018–2020, won the Ivy League Championship in 2021. Last year, they also went on to place 4th at the NCAA fencing championship, and Maia Weintraub ’25 (a first-year at the time) won the individual national title in the foil event, becoming the first female Princeton individual foil champion since 2000.

The men’s team placed fourth at last year’s Ivy League Championships and NCAA championships. Nicholas Lawson, also a first-year at the time, placed second in Epée.

Last year, the Princeton fencing teams expressed their emphasis on team culture. “An individual win at a tournament is a team win because for one of us to do well is a good thing for all of us,” Foilist Dolly Lampson-Stixrud ’22 explained. Husisian reflected a similar sentiment about this year’s team dynamic. “Our team is incredibly close-knit, and I think we’re unlike most sports teams on campus, she noted.

With an eye toward the NCAA regionals on March 11, the women’s and men’s teams will each hope to secure the national title for the first time since 2013.  

This strong performance at Ivies for a second time in a row shows what we’re capable of doing,” Weintraub explained. “I believe all that’s left for us to do is fence our hearts out at [the NCAA tournament] and show everyone exactly what kind of team we are. A winning team.” 

READ THE STORY →
Analysis by Olivia Chen

Today's Briefing 

USG APPROVES 290K BUDGET - The USG approved a $290,000 budget yesterday, allocating more for Lawnparties and other large-scale projects. The Ad Hoc Committee Student Disciplinary Processes also advocated for its continuation in working to reform student disciplinary measures like the Honor Committee and the Committee on Discipline, and an Ad Hoc Committee on Data Analysis, which preliminarily analyzed data collected on the Pay with Points program, was approved. Treasurer Walker Penfield ’25 elaborated that he intends to tap into the USG reserve funds in order to maximize USG’s impact

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Why Princeton must improve its package delivery system

The mail lockers in Frist Campus Center keep students in anticipation for their packages.
Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

Staff columnist Prince Takano writes that the University must overhaul its package delivery system, noting that the current system is characterized by inefficiency and untimeliness. Takano argues that in a contemporary era of widespread digital commerce and online transactions, maintaining effective and functional delivery systems that seamlessly serve students’ needs – including textbooks, food, and other necessities that can be purchased online – is paramount. Rather than assigning blame to the print and mail services team, Takano points to the University’s culpability in failing to optimize the package delivery system

“The University has seemed to neglect the need to consider other options for improving the University package system, like expanding service hours to include package processing on the weekends or establishing another delivery processing hub to lighten package traffic,” writes Takano.

READ THE COLUMN →

Read more: Consistency matters in campus free speech debates

SPORTS | Mens Basketball

Freshman guard Xaivian Lee drives into the rim for a layup
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonMBB/Twitter
Men’s basketball falls to Dartmouth, 83–76 - As of Saturday, Feb. 11, the men’s basketball team (16–7 overall, 7–3 Ivy League), is now tied with Yale on top of the Ivy League standings after an excruciating 83–76 loss at Dartmouth (9–15, 5–5) that featured 12 lead changes.

READ THE STORY →

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA