Monday, February 27, 2023
Newsletter by Sidney Singer

Practical models for improved mental health resources

Spring flowers after a rainy weekend.
Zoe Berman / The Daily Princetonian

Content warning: The following analysis references student death and suicide.

Good Morning! 

Towards the end of December, the Mercer County Prosecutor's office released the cause of death of Misrach Ewunetie '24, ruling it a suicide. In the aftermath of the ruling, campus groups reflected on the University's mental health resources, with some groups pushing for more targeted resources.  Undergraduate Student Government officers highlighted progress from the mental health report released in September 2022, recommending 24/7 telehealth and increased counseling staff. Officers from the Princeton Ethiopian and Eritrean Students Association (PEESA) called for increased diversity among Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) staff.

Yet as the year has progressed, ways to improve mental health resources have continued to be debated. Assistant Opinion Editor Eleanor Clemans-Cope argued that Princeton should centralize mental health care under CPS, writing: "Our goal should be zero suicides on campus. This can only be done by re-envisioning Princeton as the primary mental health care provider for students."

AG Mcgee ’22, an alumnus and current Rutgers graduate student, reflects on their experience with Princeton’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) and compares it to their experience with Rutgers’s Next Step program. McGee notes that while Clemans-Cope's broad claim could be dismissed by critics, Rutgers's model can provide a tangible goal for Princeton to emulate. McGee lauds the frequency of counseling sessions and the fact that they were connected to a counselor with the same nonbinary identity as them.

READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION →

Analysis by Sidney Singer

Todays Briefing 

Princeton researcher takes the helm of NASA’s Voyager mission: Princeton researcher Dr. Jamie Rankin is taking a position as the deputy director of science for NASA's Voyager project. 
READ THE STORY →

USG President, Treasurer argue for raising student fees to increase programmingUSG President Stephen Daniels '24 and USG Treasurer Walker Penfield '25 made the case for raiseing student fees for an expanded USG budget.
READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED

Install the extension today! 
News, weather, dining hall menus. Princeton students are always on the move, and there are a handful of websites we all check every single day. We wanted a way to make all this daily information accessible from the moment you open your browser.
Fill out this form if you are on mobile!

SPORTS | ‘Our defense is going to win it for us’: Women’s basketball beats Harvard, 51–47

Senior guard Grace Stone had 13 points and four rebounds in Friday’s win.
Courtesy of Shelley Szwast/Princeton Athletics.

On Dec. 31, the Tigers fell to Harvard in a 67–59 loss, which made for the Tigers’ first Ivy League loss in over 40 games and proved there was still plenty of work to be done to win another Ivy League title.

Fast-forward to Feb. 24, 12 games later, and the Crimson (15–10 overall, 8–5 Ivy League) were back on the schedule, this time at Jadwin Gymnasium, where it was the Tigers’ (20–5, 11–2) final regular-season home game. The Tigers came away with a win over Harvard. 
READ THE STORY →

MORE FROM SPORTS: 

At your leisure

• THE PROSPECT: Ants in a sandbox
  • PODCAST: Today on B3, host Thiago Tarraf Varella sits down with graduate student Benjamin Muhoyaent to discuss his research in the EEB department on noncommunicable diseases and socioeconomic status in Turkana, Kenya.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Miriam Waldvogel and Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA