Thursday, January 12, 2023
Newsletter by Sidney Singer and Olivia Chen

General Mark Milley ’80 Talks Hockey, ROTC, and January 6th at Hobey 100 Weekend

General Mark Milley ’80 drops the puck at the game against Dartmouth.
Courtesy of @Princeton/Twitter.

Good morning! General Mark Milley ’80, former hockey player, ROTC cadet, and now Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, visited Princeton to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Hobey Baker Rink. Milley spoke with ‘Prince’ writers Anna Salvatore and Cole Keller about hockey, ROTC, service, and January 6th. Some of Milley’s key quotes on the Capitol riot and serving as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff:

• “[The Constitution] acknowledges that we are not perfect and we weren’t perfect.”
  • “So what January 6 demonstrates to me is the resilience of our country, the resilience of our people to overcome something that was very dramatic and that threatened the very sinews of our institutions.”
  • “I may think the individual is — as you said — erratic, unstable or issuing unwise orders, but you want your soldiers to execute the orders of the elected officials, the American people, and you can’t have it any other way.”

Milley noted that Princeton being one of a limited number of schools to have an ROTC program was a driving factor for why he came to the University. Features contributor Sophie Glaser explores why this was the case, digging into the history behind ROTC in Princeton and in the Ivies in general. ROTC as a program faced backlash in the ’60s from anti-Vietnam War activists, though the program won students support in a key campus referendum.

Milley’s visit was situated against the backdrop of the Hobey 100 hockey games, covered by Keller, that saw that saw the men’s team come away with four points, thanks to an overtime loss against No. 9 Harvard and a win over Dartmouth. The women’s team beat both schools.

Listen to clips from the interview on On The Record.

READ THE Q&A WITH MILLEY HERE
Analysis by Olivia Chen.

Todays Briefing: 

Remembering John "Jody" Kretzmann ’66: John Kretzmann, former ‘Prince’ chairman, recently passed away at the age of 78. He is remembered for his social activism, as a student at Princeton and beyond. 

READ THE STORY →

Mental Health Update: Leaders from the Office of Religious Life (ORL), Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS), and the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) speak on mental health following the results of the autopsy for Misrach Ewunetie ’24. Princeton Ethiopian and Eritrean Student Association (PEESA) leaders call for mental health resources to better cater to students from diverse backgrounds.

READ THE STORY →

FEATURES | The history behind ROTC that brought Gen. Mark Milley ’80 to Princeton

ROTC cadets at morning training.
What’s the history behind ROTC at Princeton, which Milley cites as a key factor that led him to come to the University?  ROTC was a major force on campus in its first 50 years of existence, punctuated by huge enrollment in the run-up to World War II. In the midst of anti-Vietnam War activism of the 1960s and ’70s, a campus referendum led Princeton to keep the program, unlike many of its peer schools. Following the repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy in 2011, the program has seen a resurgence at Princeton and other Ivy League schools.

READ THE STORY

OPINION | Witherspoon’s legacy should be honored — and merits open debate

Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Guest contributor Bill Hewitt ’74 lauds the free speech value of the burgeoning debate on the removal of the Witherspoon statue, but defends keeping the statue and honoring Witherspoon’s legacy. Hewitt writes that Witherspoon’s “towering prominence in thought and deed makes Witherspoon a valuable subject of our understanding.” Hewitt calls for a different historical assessment of Witherspoon, writing that “the petitioners fail to balance the benefits and harms of Witherspoon’s thoughts and actions to others, not only in his time but also down to our time and beyond.”

READ THE COLUMN →

Sports

The Tigers are 6–0 in games where they shoot 45 percent or better from the field.
Courtesy of Maddy Pryor.
  • Women’s Ice Hockey had two wins over the weekend, against Harvard (3–0) and Dartmouth (5–2). READ THE STORY
  • Men’s Ice Hockey split the weekend with an overtime loss against Harvard (3–4), and a regulation win against Dartmouth (4–2). READ THE STORY
  • Women’s Basketball returned to Jadwin Gym on January 6th looking to recover from a tough loss at Harvard on New Year’s Eve. Instead, they dropped a second-consecutive Ivy League loss, this time a 58–55 overtime heartbreaker to Columbia. READ THE STORY 
  • Men’s Basketball, just three games into the conference season, sits atop the Ivy League standings with two back-to-back wins and a 100th Ivy win for Coach Mitch Henderson ’98. READ THE STORY

Get Your 2023 Spring Weekly Print Subscription!

If you would like to support student journalism and become a paid weekly print subscriber for the spring semester, please book your subscription by Jan. 27. Our first of 11 print issues of Spring 2023 will be out for delivery on Friday, Feb. 3.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or any technical difficulties on our website, please email us at subscriptions@dailyprincetonian.com!
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA