Tuesday, January 31, 2023

‘Justice for Tyre’ march draws protesters from Princeton community 

Demonstrators gather at Palmer Square
Annie Rupertus / The Daily Princetonian

Today’s Briefing: 

Good Morning!

In 2020, over 1000 Princeton community members gathered outside FitzRandolph gate to protest the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police. Through the succeeding months, debates about systemic racism on campus continued. In 2021, The Daily Princetonian published the Black Futures Project, including a piece by the Editorial Board calling on students to confront racism on Princeton's campus. More than two and a half years after the 2020 protest, on Sunday, Jan. 29, 2023, over 70 Princeton community members held a march in the wake of the killing of Tyre Nichols by Memphis Police.

Princeton Mutual Aid organized the protest in Palmer Square, which involved speeches and a march. Organizer Fatima Mughal said that the goal was to “create a space for the community to come together to grieve, honor the life of Tyre Nichols, and be a space for solidarity.” Rev. Lukata Mjumbe, pastor of Witherspoon Street Presbyterian Church, however, expressed his frustration, saying that he wouldn’t march because “We’ve done this over and over and over again …we have to do something different.” The event ended with calls for action, with Princeton lecturer Anastasia Mann saying, “The only thing that fixes those [structural problems] or begins to move the needle on those is when people come together around those convictions.”

Protests like these have occurred around the country since the body cam footage of Nichols' death was released on Jan. 27.

READ THE STORY →
Analysis by Olivia Chen

SOFIA PAUCA ’21 DISCUSSES DOCUMENTARY AT WINTERSESSION SCREENING: On Saturday, Jan. 28, recent University alumna Sofia Pauca ’21 screened her 2022 film highlighting the experiences of those living with developmental disabilities as part of the 2023 Wintersession. The film, “Growing Together: A Film on Family & Disability,” documents the journeys of six families of individuals with developmental disabilities in the United States and Peru, including Pauca’s own brother Victor.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Postdoc pay raise: What collective action can do for us all

Postdoctoral researchers gather in front of the Icahn Laboratory before heading to Nassau Hall.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian
In an open letter sent to University postdoctoral researchers on Friday, Jan. 27, the Princeton University Postdocs and Scholars (PUPS) responded to the University’s recent decision to increase postdoctoral salaries by 25 percent (to the same amount that graduate students received in 2022, $68,500) and outlined several further demands that have yet to be satisfied, including: “a yearly increase to track continued inflation, and an experience-based scale to acknowledge the value we bring to Princeton over time.”

On Monday, Jan. 30 at noon, the group hand-delivered this Open Letter to Dean of the Graduate School Gene A. Jarrett and Provost Deborah Prentice. 

READ THE OPEN LETTER →

SPORTS | Suffocating defense propels women’s basketball to massive win over Yale 79–30

Junior forward Ellie Mitchell (00) grabbed 12 rebounds in Saturday's win.

On Saturday, Jan. 28, the women’s basketball team (5–2 overall, 14–5 ECAC) made their mark as the best-scoring defense in the Ivy League, defeating Yale (4–3, 10–10) by a 49-point margin in a 79–30 final score and extending their victory streak to six games.

CHECK OUT HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE GAME HERE →

At Your Leisure:

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Harry Song and Jason Luo. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp