Saturday, December 31, 2022

Reflecting on 2022: A message from the outgoing editors of the ‘Prince’

To our readers,

In many ways, 2022 was a year of rebirth. It marked the first year that the vast majority of current ‘Prince’ staffers got to spend entirely in person. The pandemic, which took so much from us, also gave us the opportunity to think anew about the community we foster in our newsroom and the principles that guide our coverage.

Looking back on the year, we are deeply grateful for the spirits of creativity, empathy, and grit that guided our editors and staff. In 2022, our staff writers traveled as far as Bloomington, Ind. and Berkeley, Calif. to cover the Tigers in NCAA competition — and persevered through months of dogged reporting to produce three investigations. The ‘Prince’ welcomed a new section dedicated to data-driven reporting, the institutionalization of an audience section that works to expand the reach of our journalism, and the publication of special issues aimed at including communities and voices that have historically been left out of our paper.

It’s impossible to reflect on the role of the ‘Prince’ on this campus for the past year without acknowledging a somber truth: Our work this year was marked by grief and loss. The most important stories we covered were the deaths of three classmates. Each of those deaths hit close to home for us, and each one demanded we do everything in our power to honor the lives lost and to uplift the voices of grieving loved ones. We will never forget Jazz Chang ’23, Justin Lim  ’25, and Misrach Ewunetie ’24.

Amid grief and hopelessness, members of our community proved time and again that our platform can hold space for vulnerability and courage. We think of Ellen Li’s poignant essay in The Prospect reflecting on life leading up to brain surgery; José Pablo Fernández García’s moving essay marking the 10th anniversary of his father’s death; and Philip Maruri’s guest contribution in Opinion, in which he argues that Princeton must do more to help grieving students, based on his experience grieving for his friend, Abraham Joshua ’21.

Courage and vulnerability likewise defined the voices of the many community members who took to our pages throughout the past year to hold the University to account. Sadie and Vanessa — two anonymous students who authored op-eds on how Princeton’s sexual assault reporting systems failed them — stand out. In coming forward, they empowered others to follow their example and push the University to better uphold its obligations to students.

Through our year at the helm of this institution, we’ve been humbled by the talent and dedication of our staff. The five aspects of their work that we’ve chosen to highlight below represent a tiny fraction of what has inspired and sustained us.

To all of you, we extend our deepest gratitude for your continued readership and support. In the new year, we’ll depend on each of you to hold the ‘Prince’ accountable to telling the stories that matter to your community.

Warm regards,

Marie-Rose Sheinerman, Omar Farah, Caitlin Limestahl, Tanvi Nibhanupudi, and Zachariah Sippy

Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editors of The Daily Princetonian's 146th Managing Board

NEWS
April 2022 Princeton community debates Referendum No. 3
Annie Rupertus, Drew Somerville, Katherine Dailey, and Paige Cromley

In late March, a group of students from the Princeton Committee on Palestine proposed a student-wide referendum related to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Referendum No. 3 called on the University to “immediately halt usage of Caterpillar machinery in all ongoing campus construction projects given the violent role that Caterpillar machinery has played in the mass demotion of Palestinian homes, the murder of Palestinians and other innocent people.” 

Unsurprisingly, the referendum caught the attention of national outlets and organizations. In fact, as ‘Prince’ reporter Paige Cromley found, national pro-Israel groups spent more than $1,000 in an attempt to defeat the referendum. 

But when results were announced on April 14, the controversy surrounding the referendum did not come to an end; instead, a new conflict arose. 1,124 students voted in favor of the referendum, 1,029 students voted no, and 424 abstained. Excluding the abstentions, as per the Appendix D of USG Constitution, would have meant that the referendum passed. Including abstentions in the vote totals, however, would have meant that the referendum did not attain a majority. USG declined to certify the results of the referendum, while they resolved allegations of miscommunication between student leaders on the nature of abstentions. 

National pro-Israel news outlets and organizations claimed that the referendum failed, while students affiliated with the Princeton Committee on Palestine maintained that they had won the referendum. Eventually the USG Senate hatched a compromise: they recognized that “by its Constitution, ‘with a majority of student votes, Referendum 3 passes,’” but refused to issue a referendum endorsement statement to the University administration. 

If the twists and turns of the Referendum No. 3 saga strike you as confusing, you are not alone.  But ‘Prince’ reporters and editors Annie Rupertus, Drew Somerville, Katherine Dailey, and Paige Cromley offered clarity. While disinformation spread, and the story was botched by national outlets, our local, small community newspaper offered incisive, fact-driven reporting. 

Zachariah

AUDIENCE
May 2022 | Text-to-speech and accessibility at the ‘Prince’
Isabel Rodrigues, Naomi Hess, and Rowen Gesue

This year, Isabel Rodrigues and Naomi Hess, chair and assistant chair of the accessibility working group, led the paper in implementing a standardized audio narration at the top of each of our articles. Introducing the text-to-speech reader was an invaluable step in expanding how the ‘Prince’ reaches members of our community, allowing us to better fulfill our obligations as Princeton’s paper of record.

While expanding the accessibility of our coverage, Rodrigues, Hess, and many others have also pushed to represent the very readers we are striving to reach. Hess’ feature on disabled students’ fight for a more inclusive campus — complete with incredible data visualization and powerful anecdotes — epitomizes the strides we have taken to reach and represent more voices on campus, particularly those of marginalized communities.

Redefining how we connect with our community is not a goal isolated to our website. Working with Rodrigues, Head Audience Editor Rowen Gesue set up an alternative text system for all of our Instagram posts. Introducing alternative text is just one example of the year-long efforts of Gesue and others to empathetically and intentionally amplify stories by leveraging our social media, which is often the first platform through which we reach readers.

Rodrigues, Hess, Gesue, and so many others have played an instrumental — and often unseen — role in sharing untold narratives and innovating how they reach our audience. I am unbelievably grateful to have worked with editors and staff who continually push the needle on what it means to be student journalists and filled with hope for the future of the ‘Prince’ as a conduit for campus conversation.

— Tanvi

DATA
September 2022 | 140 Years of Princeton History

Elaine Huang and Anika Maskara

During the summer, Assistant Data Editor Elaine Huang and Head Web Design & Development Editor Anika Maskara informed me of a project in the works: Inspired by The Pudding’s project on The New York Times, the two were working on a data visualization of Princeton history based on a word scrape of the ‘Prince’ archive.

To me, their final project encapsulates so much of what gives me pride in how far we’ve come. It’s a testament to what can happen when someone brings their unique talents to the table and receives the support necessary to execute their vision. Decade by decade, the project unravels aspects of the University’s history that should inform the way we see campus today. And using breathtaking data visualization and original web design, it pushes the paper to new heights as a real 21st century media outlet.

“140 Years of Princeton History” exemplifies the bold and exhausting work that defined so many of the projects authored within the last year, from the data staff’s efforts in publishing a first-of-its-kind census of the senior class, to the web design staff’s rush to ensure some of our most important journalism — like Associate News Editor Sandeep Mangat’s rigorous interview with University President Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 that sparked campus-wide discussions on mental health — receives the visual platform it deserves. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for such innovation at the ‘Prince.’

Marie-Rose

THE PROSPECT
November 2022 | Hello, my name is..., Arepas at Princeton: Reflections of a Colombian-American, From Peru to Princeton: Paving my own path
José Pablo Fernández García

Some of the most beautiful pieces the ‘Prince’ has published were touched by José Pablo Fernández García — either moving personal reflections he wrote or others’ powerful essays he brought to life through careful editing. One such work that I was particularly proud to see published this year was the collection of pieces elevating Hispanic and Latine voices that José Pablo compiled. 

In his concentrated effort to include voices that have been absent from the pages of the ‘Prince,’ I see a future where this paper is one that everyone can see themselves in. I am proud of what the ‘Prince’ has done under the 146th Board, but I am most excited to see what is to come, with work like José Pablo’s at the center.

Caitlin

OPINION

December 2022 | We must increase Black voices at The Daily Princetonian
Ndeye Thioubou

Our final print issue of the year entitled “Black Voices: Then, Now, and Forever” focused on highlighting Princeton’s vibrant Black community. Associate Podcast Editor Eden Teshome worked tirelessly to compile an issue that centered Black Princeton. From dance show reviews to a feature on Princeton’s premier African fashion show Sankofa to poignant opinions calling for the University to address the concerns and desires of the Black community — the issue was one of our most powerful to date. 

But my favorite of them all was an op-ed by columnist Ndeye Thioubou offering an introspective reflection on the lack of diversity in our very own institution. Thioubou wrote so powerfully about the inextricable link between the diversity of a newsroom and the quality of its journalism. I have seen this first hand as I have navigated the ‘Prince’ from my time as a first-year News Contributor to a Managing Editor. Diverse lived experiences are crucial to what we do here at the ‘Prince,’ and I am excited to see the progress of recent years continue in the future. When choosing the title of the special issue, we were intentional in ending on the word “forever” rather than something like “tomorrow” or “in the future.” This is not a hollow promise — it is a serious commitment. 

– Omar

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp