Tuesday, December 6, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

Professor Imani Perry honored with National Book Award for nonfiction; Town Council hears community thoughts on master plans

Professor Imani Perry accepts the 2022 National Book Award for Nonfiction
Courtesy of Youtube / National Book Foundation

Todays Briefing: 

PROFESSOR IMANI PERRY HONORED WITH NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FOR NONFICTION: On Nov. 16, Professor of African American Studies Imani Perry received the National Book Award for Nonfiction, honoring “South to America: A Journey Below the Mason-Dixon to Understand the Soul of a Nation.” In the book, Perry draws on the stories, figures, and traditions of the American South to explore its complexities and advance the argument that “our understanding of its history and culture is the key to understanding the nation as a whole,” according to the National Book Foundation, which presented the award.

“I write for my people. I write because we children of the lash-scarred, rope-choked, bullet-ridden, desecrated are still here, standing. I write for my children … and for their entire generation who deserves so much better than what we’ve offered them. May they succeed where we have failed,” said Perry in her acceptance speech for the award.

READ THE STORY →

TOWN COUNCIL HEARS COMMUNITY THOUGHTS ON MASTER PLANS: On Wednesday, Nov. 30, community members convened in the Princeton Public Library to share their input regarding proposals and ideas for future town developments at a town hall hosted by the Princeton Town and Master Plan Steering Committee. The event occurred shortly after a Town Council meeting on Monday, Nov. 28, wherein town council members discussed the master plan — which strives to provide a blueprint for continued growth and development over the next decade —  and a city ordinance related to sidewalk usage.

READ THE STORY →

SPEAR HOSTS PANEL DISCUSSING DOMESTIC WORKER RIGHTS: On Nov. 30, Students for Prison Education, Abolition, and Reform (SPEAR) hosted a panel on the NJ Domestic Workers Bill of Rights. The event featured members of the local grassroots group Unidad Latina en Acción (ULA) and the National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA), as well as several other panelists and three domestic workers who shared their experiences with exploitation, insufficient pay, and minimal or no breaks, among other topics. The panel occurred amid a national proliferation of workers rights movements, which encompass many domestic workers.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED:

FEATURES | “One of the best things about the campus”: The story behind The Pastry Room on Spring Street

The Pastry Room on Spring Street in Princeton, N.J.
Vasila Mirshamsova ’26 / The Daily Princetonian

In 2020, while many businesses were struggling to stay afloat, Aliia Ulukbek took a risk and opened a small pastry shop on Spring Street in Princeton. Two years later, The Pastry Room has come a long way since its pandemic beginnings. With fan-favorite almond croissants, newly hired staff, a renovated interior, and an expansion planned, the shop is quickly establishing itself as a Princeton staple.

“One of my favorite things about it as a place is just how friendly Aliia is. She’ll recognize us and ask how we've been doing. It feels very nice to see that she's still doing well and that she still remembers us even though she's definitely upscaled a bit,” said Zander Hill ’24.

READ THE FEATURE →

SPORTS | Women’s ice hockey splits weekend against Rensselaer and Union; men's basketball crushes Drexel for sixth-straight win

Fillier score her 50th career goal in Friday’s game against Rensselaer.
Courtesy of goprincetontigers.com.

At Your Leisure:

“Steven Spielberg” by Gage Skidmore / CC BY-SA 2.0

How to Bookmark the ‘Prince’ Website onto Your Mobile Device’s Home Screen

Dear ‘Prince’ readers! 

We are excited to highlight another way ‘Prince’ readers can more easily access our content. You can install the ‘Prince’ directly on your mobile device’s home screen as a bookmark. 

Please follow the demo below. Please note this is not a ‘Prince’ mobile app from the app store; this is a website bookmark. 

For iOS Devices:

Watch this step-by-step video walkthrough for incorporating the 'Prince' wubsite directly to your IOS device's home screen.

For Android Devices: 

We are working on creating a similar video demo for Android users. The bookmarking process is very similar. If you search the https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/ and then click the menu icon (the three dots) in the top right corner, you can choose the “Add to Home screen” button. 

If you have any feedback or questions, please email business@dailyprincetonian.com.  

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Alexandra Hong. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp