Monday, November 28, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) 24/7 support line goes live; University deploys first electric bus

University Health Services.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

24/7 CPS LINE NOW LIVE, CPS TO HIRE 2 NEW COUNSELORS: On Monday, Nov. 21, a new 24/7 support line from Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) went live. Students can call 609-258-3141 any day of the year — including evenings, weekends, and holidays — and regardless of whether they are currently on campus, to speak with a counselor, according to the CPS website.

The launch of the program arrives after the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) and other members of the campus community, including a mental health referendum in the spring 2022 election cycle and the publication of a mental health report on Sept. 19, which advocated for the implementation of a 24/7 counseling line by fall 2023.

READ THE STORY →

UNIVERSITY DEPLOYS FIRST ELECTRIC BUS, PLANS TO ADD MORE: In late October, the University unleashed its first all-electric bus, with 16 additional buses anticipated to become serviceable through February. The emergence of this fully electric fleet represents part of the University’s first steps to attain net-zero emissions by 2046.

In an interview with The Daily Princetonian, Charlie Tennyson, head of Transportation and Parking Services (TPS) said that the new buses “[are] like stepping out of a 1997 beat up car and stepping into a brand new Tesla.” 

READ THE STORY →

PRINCETON BLACK STUDENT UNION HOSTS UPENN STUDENTS FOR FOOTBALL, NETWORKING: The Princeton Black Student Union (BSU) hosted the UPenn Black Student League (BSL) when the two schools’ football teams faced off. The groups hosted a variety of joint community-building events at the Carl A. Fields Center on Saturday, Nov. 19.

“An event like this allowed for the blossoming and creating potential lifelong cross-campus connections between the individuals and also both Black communities as a whole,” said Kimberly Cross ’25, who serves as the outreach co-chair of the Princeton BSU.

READ THE STORY →

STUDENTS DISCUSS HEIGHTENED SURVEILLANCE IN FEEDBACK SESSION WITH ADMINISTRATORS: On Monday, Nov. 21, University students and administrators convened via Zoom for a student feedback session regarding the proposed expansion of security cameras on campus.

Some community members have indicated support for expanded security cameras, while others have expressed concern about increased surveillance on campus, especially with regards to the investigation of nonviolent violations of University policy.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Letter to the Editor: Princeton-Blairstown Center prioritizes community building in CA

A member of the Class of 2023 walks across a bridge at the Princeton-Blairstown Center as part of their Community Action trip.
Photo Credit: Zachary Shevin / The Daily Princetonian
In a Letter to the Editor, President and CEO of the Princeton-Blairstown Center Pam Gregory and Vice President of Programs Mark DeBiasse write about their commitment to community building in Community Action, acknowledging recent opinion pieces that leveled criticism against the efficacy of the program in supporting communities through service. 

“While service has always been integral to the CA orientation week, it has purposefully taken a back seat to community building. PBC’s ropes and challenge course activities, canoeing, problem-solving initiatives, and hikes are intentionally designed to build strong, lasting CA group relationships and bonds,” they write.

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

SPORTS

The Tigers celebrate after Saturday's 5–0 win.
Courtesy of @princetonhockey/Twitter.
SPONSORED:

At Your Leisure:

• THE PROSPECT: Get into the spirit with these 10 holiday songs, shows, and movies recommended by contributing writer for The Prospect Tyler Wilson.

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast! In today’s episode, Head Podcast Editor Hope Perry ’24 discusses a recent USG feedback session about security cameras on campus and ongoing protests in China.
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp