Thursday, November 10, 2022

Arch named in memory of Princeton’s sole Japanese student during WWII; Trump-appointee Judge Paul Matey talks on campus

Ikeda Arch, named in memorial of Kentaro Ikeda ’44
Nick Barberio / Office of Communications

Todays Briefing: 

ARCH RENAMED AFTER PRINCETON'S SOLE JAPANESE STUDENT DURING WWII: The archway leading through Lockhart Hall, located beside the University Store, was named after Kentaro Ikeda ’44, the sole Japanese student at Princeton during World War II.

READ THE STORY →

JUDGE PAUL MATEY COMMENTS ON FELLOW JUDGES: During an event hosted by the Federalist Society and Pre-Law Society, Paul B. Matey, Third Circuit Judge for the United States Court of Appeals, discussed the role of originalism and natural law in constitutional interpretation. He believes that when it comes to constitutional interpretation, usage of natural law and originalism should be decided by “the professors and the scholars,” not federal judges, he said.

READ THE STORY →

From Opinion:

The entrance to the Department of Public Safety.
CHANGE IN NO COMMUNICATION ORDER POLICY: Guest Contributor AJ Lonski ’23 argues that a change in policy regarding No Communication Orders and No Contact Orders (NCO) wrongly makes the process of receiving them more difficult.

“No one ever gets an NCO just for the sake of getting an NCO — they get an NCO because they want to feel safe and to be able to go about their day-to-day life in a way that is not constantly marked by anxiety and fear,” Lonski writes. He argues that students should not be forced to informally contact the individual they have conflict prior to being granted an NCO. 

READ THE OP-ED  →
AUGUSTÍN FUENTES ON AFFIRMATIVE ACTION: Agustín Fuentes, a professor in the Department of Anthropology at Princeton, discusses his past experience of getting accepted to UC Berkeley stating how he “likely wouldn’t have made the cut” without affirmative action.

In light of the ongoing Supreme Court case on affirmative action, Fuentes argues that “given the well-documented and substantive impact of race and ethnicity on educational access and outcomes, it would be absurd to ignore or deny this crucial aspect of a student’s identity in an assessment of any applicant for higher education.”

READ THE COLUMN →

At Your Leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Avi Chesler, Jason Luo, and Liana Slomka. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp