Tuesday, November 1, 2022
Newsletter by Jackie Zhou and Amy Ciceu

University holds renaming ceremony for Laura Wooten Hall

Laura Wooten's family celebrates at the building dedication. 
Photo provided by Caasi Love, grandson of Laura Wooten.

Todays Briefing: 

LAURA WOOTEN HALL HONORS LONGEST-SERVING POLL WORKER IN NATION: On Wednesday, Oct. 26, the University convened an official dedication ceremony for Laura Wooten Hall, named for a former Princeton resident who served as a Campus Dining staff member for more than 27 years. For more than 79 years, Wooten served as a volunteer poll worker in New Jersey for local, primary, and general elections, which made her the longest-continuously serving election poll worker in the United States. The renaming ceremony was attended by various local, state, and University officials, as well as friends and family of Wooten.

READ THE STORY →

2022 MIDTERMS ON THE HORIZON: With this year’s midterm election season just around the corner and voting occurring on Tuesday, Nov. 8, the time is ripe to devise a voting plan. Residents and students registered to vote in Princeton are eligible to vote for the next representative of New Jersey’s 12th Congressional district, Princeton Town Council, the Board of County Commissioners, and the school board. Eligible voters have the choice to vote early by mail or on the day of the election.

Read this comprehensive overview of local and N.J. state candidates seeking to secure their seats and learn more about how you can cast your ballot.

READ THE STORY →

MORE FROM NEWS: 

OPINION | How we grieve and remember matters

Princeton University’s Sept. 11, 2001 memorial, located between East Pyne Hall and Chancellor Green.
José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian
In a guest contribution, Ben Zhang GS ’22 reflects on his undergraduate years at William & Mary College, following the tragic death of a student on campus. Zhang recounts how a commemorative creative storytelling project ultimately culminated in a meaningful installation situated at the heart of campus that allowed students to add compassionate and reflective messages. Drawing on this experience, Zhang proposes that the University similarly introduce a centralized “place of remembrance” to foster a spirit of care and camaraderie among the University community in the wake of several student deaths. 

“As our community mourns the premature passing of one life after another, some on this very campus, I believe the University should allow moments of collective grief to crystallize into permanent symbols of remembrance,” writes Zhang.

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

SPORTS | Field hockey clinches Ivy League title

The Princeton field hockey team has secured the Ivy League Championship title for the 27th time.
Courtesy of goprincetontigers.com.

At Your Leisure:

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Alexandra Hong, Alen Palic, Harry Song, and Miriam Waldvogel. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp