Friday, November 18, 2022
On-campus readers: Be sure to pick up a copy of our print issue in a dining hall, eating club, or distribution box near you today. 
Newsletter by Kareena Bhakta

Administrators, faculty discuss future of affirmative action at Princeton

“Panorama of United States Supreme Court Building at Dusk.”
Joe Ravi / CC BY-SA 3.0

Todays Briefing: 

SCOTUS AFFIRMATIVE ACTION: The Supreme Court’s decisions about race-conscious admissions at Harvard and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is expected to come in June. In an email to the ‘Prince,’ Vice President and General Counsel Ramona Romero said it would be “hard to predict” how the decision will ultimately impact the University. University President Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 stated in a Nov. 11 interview that “we will do our best to be creative within the limits of the law. But we can’t pretend that it’s going to be easy.” Legal scholars including Martin Flaherty ’81 and Udi Ofer, who are both visiting professors in the School of Public and International Affairs, told the ‘Prince’ that other protected categories, such as gender, could potentially be jeopardized by a ruling against race-based affirmative action.

READ THE STORY →

STUART WEITZMAN: On Wednesday, Nov. 16, The Princeton Entrepreneurship Council hosted Stuart Weitzman, the founder of the luxury footwear brand, to talk about his entrepreneurial journey. Weitzman discussed taking risks early in his career, being inspired by the visual arts, and the importance of giving back to the community. To aspiring students entrepreneurs in the audience, he said, “You can’t do it alone.”

READ THE STORY →

Read more from News:

OPINION | Why are Freshman Seminars not automatically PDF’d?

McCosh 50.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian
Contributing Columnist Eric Xie proposes that Princeton should follow universities such as Harvard, MIT, and Rutgers and make freshman seminars automatically PDF’d. Xie believes this will encourage students to explore topics that may be unfamiliar to them without the stress of getting a good grade. He adds that students can then focus more on “constructive criticism and feedback” and learn how to use this to their advantage. Xie writes, “In my experience, many first-years choose not to take a freshman seminar in their schedule out of a fear of not being able to do well, which literally reverses the purpose of these seminars — it stunts the opportunity for expanded learning possibilities rather than encouraging them.”

Sports: 

At Your Leisure:

A “No Trespassing” sign in Calvert County, MD.
Noelle Carpenter / The Daily Princetonian
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo and Tiffany Cao. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp