Tuesday, October 4th, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

UHS hosts annual ‘FluFest’; introductory STEM courses experience undergraduate overenrollment

McCosh Health Center
Abby de Riel / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

UHS OFFERS FREE FLU VACCINES TO UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY AT ANNUAL FLUFEST: On Monday, Oct. 3, University Health Services (UHS) hosted the first installment of its annual free flu vaccination clinic, called the ‘FluFest.’ The clinic provides influenza vaccines to all members of the University community, including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and retirees, at no cost. The clinic will resume operations on Oct. 6 and Oct. 10 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Frist Campus Center Multipurpose Room B. Several UHS officials emphasized the importance of ensuring that everyone acquires their flu vaccines before the flu season begins in Princeton, thereby reducing the likelihood of outbreaks and protecting public health.

READ THE STORY →

EXCESS UNDERGRADUATE OVER-ENROLLMENT IN INTRODUCTORY STEM COURSES: With the construction of two new residential colleges and the arrival of the largest undergraduate class in University history, a great deal of introductory courses have surpassed average enrollment levels, particularly in STEM courses such as PHY103: General Physics and CHM201: General Chemistry 1. The surge in enrollment numbers has prompted concern among some faculty and students about the ability of current lecture rooms to accommodate the increased class sizes, among other issues.

READ THE STORY →

WEEKLY USG SENATE MEETING: During this week’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate meeting on Sunday, Oct. 2, the body convened a second vote on an elections management resolution to establish a Deputy Elections Manager position. In addition, the USG Senate heard updates from various committees, including a report regarding the 2022 fall semester Lawnparties.

READ THE STORY →

PUBLIC POLICY EXPERTS, NYT JOURNALISTS DISCUSS VALUE OF NARRATIVE CASE STUDIES: Two New York Times journalists spoke with professors from Princeton and Harvard at an event hosted by the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA). The event, titled “Addressing Complex Policy Challenges Through the Lens of Progress: The Value of Narrative Case in Scholarship, Policy Making, and Journalism,” was sponsored by SPIA.

With both public policy scholars and professional journalists in conversation, the panel provided different angles “on the narrative case as a tool for understanding complex policy problems,” according to Professor of Politics & International Affairs Jennifer Widner, who moderated the event.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Free speech emphasis in orientation will reap benefits later

Outside McCarter Theater Center
José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian
Contributing columnist Juliana Lee writes that the University’s decision to incorporate the event “Free Expression at Princeton” into the first-year orientation program on Sept. 1 marked a monumental step in demonstrating the University’s commitment to free expression and democratic values. Lee argues that the event, which was instituted as part of the program after 46 undergraduate students penned a private letter to University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 raising concerns about ideological bias in the pre-existing first-year orientation program, affirms the University’s dedication to one of its key and often underemphasized principles.  

“Just as this institution has historically made clear to incoming first-years that academic integrity and diversity and inclusion are key aspects of the University’s identity, it laudably has begun including free speech as an additional core value,” writes Lee.

READ THE OPINION →

More from Opinion: 

Sports:

Senior wide receiver Dylan Classi plays in Saturday’s game against Columbia.
Courtesy of goprincetontigers.com.

Features | Princeton professors honored by Queen Elizabeth II reflect on her legacy

Paul Muldoon posing with Queen Elizabeth II after receiving the Queen’s Gold Medal for Poetry in 2017.
Courtesy of the Royal Family’s Twitter page

On Sept. 8, Queen Elizabeth II of England passed away at the age of 96. Over the course of her life, the Queen bestowed honors upon several Princeton professors who have made extraordinary contributions to their fields. In this feature, The Daily Princetonian sat down with these professors to recount memories of their awards ceremonies and share their reflections on the Queen’s legacy as Britain’s longest reigning monarch.

READ THE STORY →

At Your Leisure:

A delectable Dunkin’ donut, waiting to be devoured.

Kerrie Liang / The Daily Princetonian 

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Alexandra Hong, Alen Palic, Harry Song, and Miriam Waldvogel. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp