Monday, October 31, 2022
Newsletter by Olivia Chen

Plans for gas line upgrades announced at Town Council meeting

Construction continues on Witherspoon Street, with half the street blocked off.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

Plans for gas line upgrades announced at Town Council meeting: On Oct. 24, the Town Council meeting approved plans to upgrade gas lines around town. Despite pushback against the addition of more construction projects in addition to the many current projects, the renovation was approved, as Princeton’s aging infrastructure and gas lines are marked as “critical,” and funding is set to expire at the end of 2023. Although a strict timeline has not been established, the gas replacement projects are set to take place throughout 2023 during the evenings to mitigate traffic impact.

Additionally, there are plans to include free parking on the newly constructed Witherspoon Street and build a new dog park at Quarry Park.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Rethinking Princeton’s approach to residential college placement

A quiet walk near Whitman College as the spring semester begins.
Abby de Riel / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing columnist Prince Takano writes that “the random nature of residential college placement is one of its greatest flaws,” claiming that an intentional placement process would allow students within each residential college to bond more than the current process. Students in eating clubs, dance groups, or student publications share “some form of common identity,” leading to a “strong sense of community.” Addressing worries that a non-random process will create biases between residential colleges, Takano writes that the size of the colleges and the plethora of other opportunities for students to interact will prevent this from happening but will strengthen pride in the residential college community.

READ THE COLUMN →

SPONSORED:

Sports: 

Junior linebacker Liam Johnson streaks down the field for a touchdown late in the win over Cornell.
Courtesy of @PrincetonFTBL/Twitter.
Tigers football dominates against Cornell in Homecoming clash: On Saturday, Princeton (7-0, 4-0) continued their undefeated season and beat Cornell (4-3, 1-3) in a dominant 35-9 victory on Powers Field, after forcing five turnovers out of Cornell. Head Coach Bob Surace notes, “I did not think we were as precise as we could be … but, when you play with that effort, win or lose, you are proud of your guys and you can feel good about yourself.” Princeton will face Dartmouth next week in Princeton Stadium. 

READ THE STORY →

Read more:

At Your Leisure: 

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Bhoomika Chowdhary and Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp