Thursday, September 8, 2022

Interested in joining the ‘Prince’? Come meet our staff at the last open house today 7-9 p.m. at 48 University Place!
Newsletter by Jordan Slaughter

Princeton welcomes largest first-year class in history; former employee files religious discrimination lawsuit against University

First-year students in the Class of 2026 are welcomed at Opening Exercises outside of Nassau Hall.
Katherine Dailey / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

UNIVERSITY WELCOMES LARGEST FIRST-YEAR CLASS IN HISTORY: Princeton celebrated the largest incoming first-year class in the university's history on Sept. 4 in the first Opening Exercises to take place outside of Nassau Hall, rather than inside the University Chapel as has been tradition since 1929. University President Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 addressed the incoming class during the Opening Exercises and presented several undergraduate awards after the Class of 2026 participated in the traditional Pre-Rade march through FitzRandolph Gate.

READ THE STORY → 

PRINCETON SUED FOR RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION: On Aug. 16, former University budget analyst Kate McKinley filed a lawsuit against the University, alleging her termination was the result of religious discrimination against her faith-based objections to COVID-19 policies. McKinley was granted an exemption to vaccination but denied an exemption from mask-wearing, contact tracing, and regular COVID-19 testing by the University, prompting her to file a discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) before her eventual termination. University Spokesperson Ayana Okoya said that the University “handled this former employee’s accommodation request fairly” and “in accordance with the applicable laws and internal policies.”

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | What the ‘anti-woke’ crowd gets wrong about the calls for diversity in science

Lewis Science Library and Fine Hall, which is the home of the Mathematics Department.
James Loesch / Flickr
Faculty Columnist Agustín Fuentes discusses criticisms of key science journals for going “woke” and advocating social justice issues in their journals. The complaints, largely coming from white, senior, cisgender scholars, emerge as science journals Scientific American and Science adapt to changing times and adjust their writing to include previously marginalized voices, experiences, and perspectives. Fuentes writes that “these journals are opening their pages to serious discussion of issues of discrimination and bias in science not necessarily faced by most senior cis-male white scholars — which is a critical component of change.” Fuentes challenges all Princetonians to continue considering questions of social justice and our role on the world stage in modeling proper action on these issues.

READ THE OPINION → 
SPONSORED:
OPINION | This Office of Religious Life program is failing to include Jewish students. That needs to change.
Murray-Dodge Hall, which houses the Office of Religious Life.
Guest Contributor Theodore Gross argues that the Office of Religious Life (ORL) programming, specifically in an upcoming trip to Senegal over fall break, is failing to accommodate observant Jewish students. He argues that the inaccessibility of Kosher food and the scheduling of travel in conflict with the Jewish holidays highlights the need for change. Gross writes that the ORL, “which is supposedly meant to serve as a haven for students of all religions, consistently fails to provide for the religious needs of Jewish students.”

READ THE OPINION → 

At Your Leisure:

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ  08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA