Thursday, September 15, 2022
Newsletter by Jordan Slaughter

Witherspoon St. construction to finish by late fall; students, local vendors react to early weeks of Pay with Points dining program

Witherspoon Street is the center of the Witherspoon-Jackson district.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

WITHERSPOON ST. CONSTRUCTION: Assistant Municipal Engineer Jim Purcell and several town councilmembers provided updates on the ongoing construction projects in Princeton, including work on Witherspoon Street and the Graduate Hotel. Construction on Witherspoon will increase sidewalk widths from six to 14 feet while turning the road into a one-way street, and the new Graduate Hotel is on schedule to be completed by 2024. The projects are meant to enhance outdoor dining on Witherspoon Street and beautify the area.

READ THE STORY →

REACTION TO PAY WITH POINTS PROGRAM: As the University launched the new Pay with Points program spearheaded by the Undergraduate Student Government, student response has been generally positive. One student on financial aid said they feel that the “[Pay with Points] was really helpful for me to go out on [Nassau Street] with my friends without worrying about spending too much money.” It is not clear if the new program has caused an increase in business to restaurants off campus, but students commented that they hope to see the program expand to more restaurants that are more popular.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Congressman Ken Buck ’81 does not deserve PICS interns

U.S. Rep. Ken Buck ’81
United States Congress / Wikimedia Commons

Guest Contributor Ben Gelman writes that given the known political stances of Congressman Ken Buck ’81, the Pace Center’s Princeton Internships in Civic Service (PICS) should not be offering internships to students to work within his congressional office. His stances on abortion and gay marriage, and his efforts to delegitimize the democratic process in the 2020 election by signing on to efforts to prevent the certification of results in Texas should be disqualifying of PICS participation, according to Gelman. Gelman continues by saying that “The way to stop producing alumni like this is to show current Princeton students that their politics do not represent our values, and for us to not support politicians like Buck with our time and talent.”

READ THE OPINION →
SPONSORED:

SPORTS | Defending champs Princeton Football gear up for week one

The Princeton football team has selected its senior team captains for the 2022 season.
Courtesy of @PrincetonFTBL/Twitter.

As a new season kicks off this weekend for the Tigers, last year’s successes are in the rearview mirror. The Tigers begin their season this Saturday, Sept. 17, at Stetson University after winning the Ivy League championship last season with a 9–1 record. In anticipation of the new season, seniors Carson Bobo, Henry Byrd, Dylan Classi, Andrei Iosivas, Matthew Jester, Uche Ndukwe, and Michael Ruttlen Jr. were named captains. 

READ THE ARTICLE →

At Your Leisure

SPONSORED:
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo and Liana Slomka. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp