Friday, September 9, 2022

Interested in joining the ‘Prince’? Applications close on Sunday, Sept. 11 at 11:59 p.m. Apply here: https://projects.dailyprincetonian.com/join-fall-2022/

On-campus readers: Be sure to pick up a copy of our print issue in a dining hall, eating club, or distribution box near you today. 
Newsletter by Kareena Bhakta

New orientation event on free speech garners mixed reactions from first-years; Dean of Admission discusses financial aid expansion 

Todays Briefing: 

FREE SPEECH ORIENTATION PROGRAM: As part of Princeton’s mandatory series of orientation events for first-year students, the Class of 2026 assembled on Sept. 1 to hear from Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Vice President Hannah Kappor ’23 and Princeton Open Campus Coalition (POCC) President Myles McKnight ’23 regarding the role of free speech on campus. McKnight reflected on his personal experiences engaging in debate with peers. In interviews with The Daily Princetonian after the event, first-years had mixed reviews on the success of the program.

READ THE STORY →

NEUROSCIENCE RESEARCH: Listen to a special episode of Princeton Insights: The Highlights, where staffers Sophia Villacorta and Senna Aldoubosh interview Chino Eke ’22, a recent alumnus of the neuroscience department, about his senior thesis research on brain plasticity. Chino’s paper investigates two types of social impairments in autistic mice and what this may tell us about the future of autism research.

LISTEN TO THE STORY →

FINANCIAL AID INCREASES, STUDENT CONTRIBUTION ELIMINATED: The University announced on Thursday that, beginning next academic year, the student contribution portion of financial aid packages will be eliminated and that the entire cost of attending the university will be covered for families making up to $100,000. Read more about our breaking coverage of Princeton’s new financial aid policy here, including a new interview with Dean of Admission Karen Richardson ’93.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | So we’re still pretending tuition is necessary?

Courtesy of Princeton University Art Museum
Community Opinion Editor Rohit Narayanan discusses Princeton’s new financial aid policy, arguing that “Princeton needs to take steps to drastically reduce its sticker price, if not eliminate tuition altogether.” Narayanan recognizes that other colleges may rely on tuition as an important source of funding but writes that “the ‘high tuition high aid’ model pioneered at Harvard and Princeton has contributed to a world where colleges compete more on amenities than price.”

THE PROSPECT | Before the bubble bursts

José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian
Head Prospect Editor José Pablo Fernández García reflects on how his love for Princeton grew over time and the emotional impact of the Triangle Show’s song “Orange Bubble.” He writes that “at the end of 70 minutes of songs and scenes that aim to distill this club and this school into laughter and song, ‘Orange Bubble’ hits me more with the emotional than the comedic: I think of how much I love this school. I think of how I came to love this school.”

At Your Leisure:

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp