Thursday, September 29, 2022
Newsletter by Jordan Slaughter, Michelle Miao, and Keith Matanachai

Princeton women’s rugby goes varsity, keeps walk-on spirit

Courtesy of Emily Dela Pietra ’24

After years of student advocacy, the Princeton women’s rugby team changes to varsity status, representing an opportunity for the team to compete at the highest level of collegiate rugby, an NCAA emerging sport. But this season is also a moment of transition as the players — most of whom hadn’t played rugby before they got to Princeton — become Division I athletes. Amid this adjustment, the players have sought to maintain the team’s walk-on culture.

READ THE FULL FEATURE HERE →

Princeton after latest financial aid expansion: ‘We still have work to do’; European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen crashes International Center Ice Cream Social

Students relax and study in the Blair-Joline Courtyard under blooming trees. 
Justin Cai / The Daily Princetonian

Today's Briefing:

PRINCETON FINANCIAL AID EXPANSION: 
The University recently announced a significant expansion of its financial aid program, meant to attract and support more low to middle income students in the future. But the University and current students recognize that more work needs to be done to admit more low to middle income students, as well as students from diverse backgrounds such as transfer students. Students also said that while the expansion of the financial aid program will allow more students to attend Princeton, additional work must be done to lessen the costs associated with social activities in order to truly foster equity on campus.

READ THE ARTICLE →

More from News:

From Opinion: 

A picture of East Pyne Hall
Elisa.rolle / Wikimedia Commons

TRUTH-SEEKING: Myles McKnight '23, the President of the Princeton Open Campus Coalition, responds to columnist Abigail Rabieh’s perspective on how “institutional neutrality” interacts with free speech on campus. McKnight writes that every University principle, including the free speech policy, “is sound (at least as a principle of academic life) if it serves our truth-seeking common good."

READ THE OPINION →

COFFEE CONSUMPTION: Opinion columnist Ava Milberg argues that a dependence on drinking coffee for an energy boost indicates alarmingly that “students and professionals are regularly expected to perform in ways that require more energy than they naturally have.” Milberg emphasizes the importance of getting more sleep instead of consuming caffeine, and calls for reframing the narrative around coffee. “We can appreciate the energizing quality of caffeine when it is needed, but we should also strive to take care of ourselves more meaningfully and get enough sleep,” she writes.

READ THE OPINION →

More from Opinion:

At Your Leisure

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Liana Slomka. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ  08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA