Monday, September 19, 2022
Newsletter by Kareena Bhakta

Students express confusion over campus COVID-19 guidelines as cases rise

McCosh infirmary, East entrance
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian 

Todays Briefing: 

COVID-19 ISOLATION: Undergraduate COVID-19 cases on campus have been on the rise since move-in, with a 20.91 percent positivity rate among undergraduates in the week ending Sept. 9. Some of the students who have tested positive expressed confusion with the University’s isolation policy and resources. According to the University COVID-19 dashboard, 112 positive cases were recorded between Monday, Sept. 12 and Friday, Sept. 16.

READ THE STORY →

NO. 1 FOR 12 YEARS IN A ROW: Princeton attained the number one spot for the twelfth year in a row in the U.S. News and World Report’s Best National University ranking. Princeton also ranked number two in Best Value Schools and tied for third in Best Undergraduate Teaching. U.S. News and World Report uses 18 sets of statistics to rank 439 universities in 10 distinct categories.

READ THE STORY →

From Opinion:

1879 Hall 
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian 
DON'T JOIN THE HONOR COMMITTEE: Guest Contributor Benjamin Gelman ’23 discusses why students should not join the Honor Committee or the Committee on Discipline. Gelman writes, “Students should not be fooled: joining either Committee means participating in the investigation and punishment of ones peers without due process – and we should simply stop doing so.” Gelman argues that the “only meaningful way to stop the Honor Committee from legitimizing the administration’s decisions is to deny it student members.”

READ THE COLUMN →
THE MISSING PIECE TO THE FREE SPEECH PUZZLE: Columnist Abigail Rabieh writes that the missing piece in the free speech debate is “the lack of neutrality demonstrated by the university” and argues that the University should adopt the Kalven Report. This is a report “created by a University of Chicago faculty committee in 1967, which takes the position that the university should remain neutral on all controversial issues.” Rabieh discusses the use of free speech in seeking truth and “encourag[ing] incoming students to engage in the most demanding and complex conversations” when discussing free speech on campus.

READ THE COLUMN →
More from Opinion: Read “Letter to the Editor: The complexity of service” by Guest Contributor Kimberly de los Santos.
SPONSORED:

From Sports:

Tiger's celebrate their goal over Delaware
Courtesy of Princeton Field Hockey / Facebook
Read coverage of:

At Your Leisure:

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Lindsay Pagaduan, Kelih Henyo, Bhoomika Chowdhary, and Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp