Friday, September 16, 2022
On-campus readers: Be sure to pick up a copy of our print issue in a dining hall, eating club, or distribution box near you today. 
Newsletter by Kareena Bhakta

Sorensen Lab spearheads shortened synthesis of molecule with promising potential for cancer treatment

Frick Chemistry Laboratory, the home of Princeton’s chemistry department.
Zachary Shevin / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

SORENSEN LAB: In July, the Sorensen Lab, which specializes in total synthesis and catalysis at the Frick Chemistry Laboratory, published a paper highlighting the group’s success in shortening the procedure for synthesizing the complex molecule pleurotin. Pleurotin has the potential to be used in antibiotic treatments and tumor inhibitors against cancer. The lab’s ultimate goal is to render pleurotin a viable anti-cancer screening candidate.

READ THE STORY →

Content Warning: The following article contains mention of death and suicide.

EMPLOYEE CAUSE OF DEATH IDENTIFIED: Mercer County has disclosed the cause of death for the Princeton staff member who died on campus Tuesday. 

READ THE STORY →

SITTING DOWN WITH LEAH BOUSTAN ’00: The Daily Princetonian interviewed Boustan, an economic historian and professor of economics at the University since 2017. Boustan discusses her career, her new book, and the future of the American dream.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Smart students study STEM: Unpacking the myths of Princeton’s academic hierarchy

Burr Hall, where the Anthropology Department is located.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian
Head Opinion Editor Genrietta Churbanova discusses the “widely-held assumption that STEM is inherently more difficult than, and thus more intellectually valuable than, the humanities and social sciences.” Churbanova writes, “It is precisely the weedout culture so widespread in STEM coupled with the intense workload of STEM courses that make many of us perceive STEM as at the top of the academic hierarchy. Because, in all honesty, what social sciences and humanities courses are asking of students is incredibly challenging.”

READ THE OPINION →
SPONSORED:

SPORTS | Women’s volleyball defeats Jersey rival Rider 3–1 in first home match of season

Senior hitter Avery Luoma was key to the Tigers' victory.
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com
Princeton women’s volleyball (5–2 overall, 0–0 Ivy) won their game against Rider this past Wednesday with a score of 3–1. The team will compete in a volleyball tournament this Saturday, Sept. 17, at Rutgers with their first match against Florida International University.

READ THE ARTICLE →

At Your Leisure:

SPONSORED:
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp