Thursday, April 21, 2022
Newsletter by Jordan Slaughter

USG Senate upholds appeal over Caterpillar referendum; Panelists discuss free speech and equality at universities

Courtesy of Naomi Hess

Todays Briefing: 

USG SENATE UPHOLDS APPEAL: A week after voting closed on a student body referendum calling for the University to boycott the use of Caterpillar equipment, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) has upheld an appeal made against the handling of Referendum No. 3 voting. While the referendum passed according to the rules of the USG Constitution, the USG has decided to instead take several other measures to abide by the appeal. Among these measures is a Paper on Referendum 3 meant to demonstrate the will of the student body that will be sent to University officials.

READ THE STORY →

PANELIST DISCUSSION ON FREE SPEECH AND EQUALITY: In celebration of 50 years of inclusion at the University, journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones, New York University professor Ulrich Baer, and Amherst University professor Stefan Bradley sat on a panel on April 19 to discuss institutionalized racism in college and free speech in the classroom. Panelists discussed how diversity in colleges can lead to “the diversification of knowledge itself,” and how free speech is not meant to infringe on human rights or equitable participation of diverse students in classroom discussions. After the event, Ulrich Baer commented in an email that he felt the panel worked to “‘explain how the overall goal in considering the role of robust and even uncomfortable exchange of ideas can be balanced with the goal of truly allowing all students to contribute to the joint enterprise of learning.’”

READ THE STORY 

OPINION | Banning books is detrimental to intellectual growth

The Princeton Public Library on Witherspoon Street
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian
Columnist Gisele Bisch writes about how the practice of banning books that discuss uncomfortable topics, often about issues of racism, prevents people from developing the ability to form opinions on what they’re reading and recognizing the importance of the issues presented and understanding them in a variety of contexts. People are thus deprived of the opportunity to think critically about issues relevant to today’s society. Bisch cites English professor Anne Cheng’s interview with The Daily Princetonian’s Daybreak podcast, in which she discusses how no one learns without discomfort, and by banning books that discuss uncomfortable topics, there is not an opportunity for growth. Bisch ends by discussing how “a myriad of books in the world today capture both the good and the bad of life, from joy and accomplishment to death and grief,” and by reading these books, we are able to “come away with meaningful, valuable insights about ourselves and the world around us.

READ THE OPINION →
SPONSORED:

At Your Leisure: 

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast!
  • PUZZLES: Try your hand at a new puzzle titled “Four-Leaf Clover.”
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao and Jason Luo. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp