Friday, April 8, 2022

On-campus readers: Be sure to pick up a copy of this week’s edition in a dining hall, eating club, or distribution box near you today.
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

Students celebrate Ramadan on campus; Creative Writing department removes Fall 2022 course application

A group of students walk past Murray-Dodge Hall.

Todays Briefing: 

STUDENTS CELEBRATE RAMADAN ON CAMPUS: Beginning on April 2 and throughout the month of April, students are celebrating Ramadan on campus through prayer, fasting, and community meals. 

After sundown on Tuesday night, nearly 100 students, faculty, and community members gathered in the Frist MPR for the first community iftar of Ramadan. The iftar is the evening meal where Ramadan observers celebrate with friends and family after fasting from sunrise to sundown.
“With the community, [fasting] altogether, there’s something about that that gives you the strength that you need. The religious devotion that you have throughout it makes it really special and even easier to do,” Kulsoom Ghias ’24, a Muslim Student Association board member said in an interview with The Daily Princetonian. 

READ THE STORY →

CREATIVE WRITING PROGRAM REMOVES APPLICATION: Recently, the Lewis Center for the Arts (LCA) issued a statement announcing that the Creative Writing Program (CWR) will no longer require an application for entry into its introductory courses in Fall 2022. Students were previously required to submit an application for all CWR courses offered by the department and would receive a decision prior to course selection.

“With the application process gone, I feel like I can experiment with taking creative writing classes more freely and not feel that I am entering an overly competitive space that I had to earn,” Julia Nees ’25 said. 

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Why Princeton is no longer promoting its admission rate

The Archway by the U-Store.
In response to recent student reactions regarding the University’s decision to withhold statistics regarding admissions, Dean of Admission Karen Richardson ’93 writes in a guest contribution that the overarching goal of ensuring that prospective students don’t feel dissuaded from applying to the University informed the decision. Instead, Richardson notes that the admissions office strives to admit a “diverse and dynamic group of students” via a holistic approach.

“By stepping away from promoting statistics like the admission rate, we are signaling that selectivity is not part of our pitch,” Richardson writes.

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

More from OPINION: Students weigh in on the upcoming Caterpillar referendum

THE PROSPECT | Doormats, being nonbinary, and me

An eerie tree beckons.
Aster Zhang / The Daily Princetonian
Head Editor of The Prospect Aster Zhang describes how cultivating their identity as a non-binary individual has been marred by a broad attitude of intolerance. “This journey hasn’t been affirming. It’s not hopeful. It’s crushing,” they write.

At your leisure

Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast!

Play the Friday crossword puzzle, in print and online, by Staff Constructor Ava Milberg.

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Genele Hua. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp