Thursday, April 7, 2022
Newsletter by Kareena Bhakta and Jordan Slaughter 

Princeton, most Ivies do not disclose Russian investment holdings as some colleges divest amid war

22 Chambers Street houses the Princeton University Investment Company (PRINCO).
Ben Ball / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

DIVESTMENT: Princeton University has not announced any plans to divest from Russian holdings amid the Ukraine crisis while other American colleges and universities have announced plans to do so. Deputy University Spokesman Michael Hotchkiss wrote that “Any process to consider divestment and dissociation would go through the Resources Committee of the CPUC [Council of the Princeton University Community].” Currently, the University does not “disclose holdings of the endowment or its investment strategy,” according to Hotchkiss. The ‘Prince’ reached out to students on campus for their thoughts on divesting from Russian holdings as well as the other seven Ivy League universities about whether they have plans to divest. 

READ THE STORY →

REUNIONS: The University has announced that it will cover the cost of Reunions for the Classes of 2020 and 2021, which normally includes a $65 wristband, as alumni return to campus for the first in-person Reunions festivities since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the Alumni Engagement Team for Reunions, these fees are “collected to offset the costs of the Fifth major Reunion, which is celebrated this year by the Class of 2017.”

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | The case for lifting up instead of weeding out in Princeton’s pre-med classes

Columnist Lucia Wetherill writes about the merits of “weed-out” courses as a pre-medical student at Princeton and argues that the difficulty of these courses puts qualified students with less prior experience at a disadvantage. In particular, Wetherill believes that these disparities overwhelmingly cause first-generation, low-income students and students of color to struggle the most. To combat this, Wetherill says that “the University must engage in a ‘lift-up’ culture rather than a ‘weed-out’ one,” in order to more equitably support all students hoping to pursue medical careers and to encourage them to remain on the pre-med track. 

READ THE STORY →

From Sports:

First-year Coulter Mackesy had three assists against Marist.
@TigerLacrosse / Twitter
MEN’S LACROSSE: Princeton men’s lacrosse, ranked third with a 7–2 overall record and 2–1 Ivy League record, beat the unranked Marist with a score of 18–7 this past Tuesday. This coming Saturday, April 9, the Tigers will play against No. 13 Boston University at home.

At Your Leisure:

Let’s Get This Degree
Sandy Lee / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao and Jason Luo. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp